297A.75 Refund; appropriation.
Subdivision 1. Tax collected. The tax on the gross receipts from the sale of the following exempt items must be imposed and collected as if the sale were taxable and the rate under section 297A.62, subdivision 1, applied. The exempt items include:
(1) capital equipment exempt under section 297A.68, subdivision 5;
(2) building materials for an agricultural processing facility exempt under section 297A.71, subdivision 13;
(3) building materials for mineral production facilities exempt under section 297A.71, subdivision 14;
(4) building materials for correctional facilities under section 297A.71, subdivision 3;
(5) building materials used in a residence for disabled veterans exempt under section 297A.71, subdivision 11;
(6) chair lifts, ramps, elevators, and associated building materials exempt under section 297A.71, subdivision 12;
(7) building materials for the Long Lake Conservation Center exempt under section 297A.71, subdivision 17;
(8) materials, supplies, fixtures, furnishings, and equipment for a county law enforcement and family service center under section 297A.71, subdivision 26; and
(9) materials and supplies for qualified low-income housing under section 297A.71, subdivision 23.
Subd. 2. Refund; eligible persons. Upon application on forms prescribed by the commissioner, a refund equal to the tax paid on the gross receipts of the exempt items must be paid to the applicant. Only the following persons may apply for the refund:
(1) for subdivision 1, clauses (1) to (3), the applicant must be the purchaser;
(2) for subdivision 1, clauses (4), (7), and (8), the applicant must be the governmental subdivision;
(3) for subdivision 1, clause (5), the applicant must be the recipient of the benefits provided in United States Code, title 38, chapter 21;
(4) for subdivision 1, clause (6), the applicant must be the owner of the homestead property; and
(5) for subdivision 1, clause (9), the owner of the qualified low-income housing project.
Subd. 3. Application. (a) The application must include sufficient information to permit the commissioner to verify the tax paid. If the tax was paid by a contractor, subcontractor, or builder, under subdivision 1, clause (4), (5), (6), (7), (8), or (9), the contractor, subcontractor, or builder must furnish to the refund applicant a statement including the cost of the exempt items and the taxes paid on the items unless otherwise specifically provided by this subdivision. The provisions of sections 289A.40 and 289A.50 apply to refunds under this section.
(b) An applicant may not file more than two applications per calendar year for refunds for taxes paid on capital equipment exempt under section 297A.68, subdivision 5.
Subd. 4. Interest. Interest must be paid on the refund at the rate in section 270.76 from 90 days after the refund claim is filed with the commissioner for taxes paid under subdivision 1.
Subd. 5. Appropriation. The amount required to make the refunds is annually appropriated to the commissioner.