Skip to main content Skip to office menu Skip to footer
Capital IconMinnesota Legislature

Office of the Revisor of Statutes


Notwithstanding any provisions of section 171.04 relating to the age of an applicant to the contrary, the commissioner may issue a restricted farm work license to operate a motor vehicle to a person who has attained the age of 15 years and who, except for age, is qualified to hold a driver's license. The applicant is not required to comply with the six-month instruction permit possession provisions of sections 171.04, subdivision 1, clause (2), and 171.05, subdivision 2a, or with the 12-month provisional license possession provision of section 171.04, subdivision 1, clause (1), item (i). The restricted license shall be issued solely for the purpose of authorizing the person to whom the restricted license is issued to assist the person's parents or guardians with farm work. A person holding this restricted license may operate a motor vehicle only during daylight hours and only within a radius of 20 miles of the parent's or guardian's farmhouse; however, in no case may a person holding the restricted license operate a motor vehicle in a city of the first class. An applicant for a restricted license shall apply to the commissioner for the license on forms prescribed by the commissioner. The application shall be accompanied by:

(1) a copy of a property tax statement showing that the applicant's parent or guardian owns land that is classified as agricultural land or a copy of a rental statement or agreement showing that the applicant's parent or guardian rents land classified as agricultural land; and

(2) a written verified statement by the applicant's parent or guardian setting forth the necessity for the license.

Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes