Skip to main content Skip to office menu Skip to footer
Capital IconMinnesota Legislature

Office of the Revisor of Statutes


(a) Notwithstanding any provisions of section 171.04 relating to the age of an applicant to the contrary, the commissioner may issue a restricted farm work license to operate a motor vehicle to a person who has attained the age of 15 years and who, except for age, is qualified to hold a driver's license. The applicant is not required to comply with the six-month instruction permit possession provisions of sections 171.04, subdivision 1, clause (2), and 171.05, subdivision 2a, or with the 12-month provisional license possession provision of section 171.04, subdivision 1, clause (1), item (i).

(b) The restricted license must be issued solely for the purpose of authorizing the person to whom the restricted license is issued to assist with farm work. An individual may perform farm work under the restricted license for any entity authorized to farm under section 500.24. A person holding this restricted license may operate a motor vehicle only during daylight hours and only within a radius of 40 miles of the farmhouse on the farm where the person is working.

(c) An applicant for a restricted license must apply to the commissioner for the license on forms prescribed by the commissioner. The application must be accompanied by:

(1) a copy of a property tax statement showing that the applicant's parent, guardian, or employer owns land that is classified as agricultural land or a copy of a rental statement or agreement showing that the applicant's parent or guardian rents land classified as agricultural land;

(2) a written verified statement by the applicant's parent or guardian setting forth the necessity for the license; and

(3) if the applicant is not working for a parent or guardian, a written verified statement by the farm owner setting forth the necessity for the license.

Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes