Subdivision 1. Coverage. (a) Employees enumerated in paragraph (c), clauses (2), (3), (4), and (6) to (14), if they are in the unclassified service of the state or Metropolitan Council and are eligible for coverage under the general state employees retirement plan under chapter 352, are participants in the unclassified plan under this chapter unless the employee gives notice to the executive director of the Minnesota State Retirement System within one year following the commencement of employment in the unclassified service that the employee desires coverage under the general state employees retirement plan. For the purposes of this chapter, an employee who does not file notice with the executive director is deemed to have exercised the option to participate in the unclassified plan.
(b) Persons referenced in paragraph (c), clauses (1) and (5), are participants in the unclassified program under this chapter unless the person is eligible to elect different coverage under section 3A.07 or 352C.011 and, after July 1, 1998, elects retirement coverage by the applicable alternative retirement plan. Persons referenced in paragraph (c), clause (15), are participants in the unclassified program under this chapter for judicial employment in excess of the service credit limit in section 490.121, subdivision 22.
(c) Enumerated employees and referenced persons are:
(1) the governor, the lieutenant governor, the secretary of state, the state auditor, and the attorney general;
(2) an employee in the Office of the Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Secretary of State, State Auditor, Attorney General;
(3) an employee of the State Board of Investment;
(4) the head of a department, division, or agency created by statute in the unclassified service, an acting department head subsequently appointed to the position, or an employee enumerated in section 15A.0815 or 15A.083, subdivision 4;
(5) a member of the legislature;
(6) a full-time unclassified employee of the legislature or a commission or agency of the legislature who is appointed without a limit on the duration of the employment or a temporary legislative employee having shares in the supplemental retirement fund as a result of former employment covered by this chapter, whether or not eligible for coverage under the Minnesota State Retirement System;
(7) a person who is employed in a position established under section 43A.08, subdivision 1, clause (3), or in a position authorized under a statute creating or establishing a department or agency of the state, which is at the deputy or assistant head of department or agency or director level;
(8) the regional administrator, or executive director of the Metropolitan Council, general counsel, division directors, operations managers, and other positions as designated by the council, all of which may not exceed 27 positions at the council and the chair;
(9) the executive director, associate executive director, and not to exceed nine positions of the Higher Education Services Office in the unclassified service, as designated by the Higher Education Services Office before January 1, 1992, or subsequently redesignated with the approval of the board of directors of the Minnesota State Retirement System, unless the person has elected coverage by the individual retirement account plan under chapter 354B;
(10) the clerk of the appellate courts appointed under article VI, section 2, of the Constitution of the state of Minnesota;
(11) the chief executive officers of correctional facilities operated by the Department of Corrections and of hospitals and nursing homes operated by the Department of Human Services;
(12) an employee whose principal employment is at the state ceremonial house;
(13) an employee of the Minnesota Educational Computing Corporation;
(14) an employee of the State Lottery who is covered by the managerial plan established under section 43A.18, subdivision 3; and
(15) a judge who has exceeded the service credit limit in section 490.121, subdivision 22.
Subd. 1a. Repealed, 1995 c 141 art 4 s 31
Subd. 1b. Repealed, 1991 c 238 art 1 s 26
Subd. 1c. Transfer of contributions. An employee covered by the regular plan who is subsequently employed as a full-time unclassified employee of the legislature or any commission or agency of the legislature without a limit on the duration of the employment may elect to transfer accumulated employee and matching employer contributions, as provided in section 352D.03.
Subd. 1d. Election of program participation. An employee who is a participant in the unclassified program by virtue of employment in a position listed in subdivision 1 may elect to remain in the unclassified program upon subsequent employment in an unlimited, full-time unclassified position that is not listed in subdivision 1. To elect participation in the unclassified program, the employee must give notice to the executive director of the Minnesota State Retirement System within one year of the commencement of employment in an unclassified position that is not listed in subdivision 1. Upon receipt of the notice, the executive director shall transfer to the employee's account in the unclassified program an amount equal to the employer and employee contributions with six percent interest to the regular plan on the employee's behalf from the commencement of employment in the position not listed in subdivision 1 to the receipt of the notice by the executive director.
Subd. 2. Coverage upon employment change. A person becoming a participant in the unclassified program by virtue of employment in a position specified in subdivision 1, clause (4), and remaining in the unclassified service shall remain a participant in the program even though the position the person occupies is deleted from any of the sections referenced in subdivision 1, clause (4), by subsequent amendment, except that a person shall not be eligible to elect the unclassified program after separation from unclassified service if on the return of the person to service, that position is not specified in subdivision 1, clause (4). Any person employed in a position specified in subdivision 1 shall cease to participate in the unclassified program in the event the position is placed in the classified service.
Subd. 3. Election irrevocable. An election to not participate is irrevocable during any period of covered employment. An employee credited with employee shares in the unclassified program, after acquiring credit for ten years of allowable service but prior to termination of covered employment, may, notwithstanding other provisions of this subdivision, elect to terminate participation in the unclassified plan and be covered by the regular plan by filing such election with the executive director. The executive director shall thereupon redeem the employee's total shares and shall credit to the employee's account in the regular plan the amount of contributions that would have been so credited had the employee been covered by the regular plan during the employee's entire covered employment. The balance of money so redeemed and not credited to the employee's account shall be transferred to the state contribution reserve of the state employees retirement fund, except that (1) the employee contribution paid to the unclassified plan must be compared to (2) the employee contributions that would have been paid to the general plan for the comparable period, if the individual had been covered by that plan. If clause (1) is greater than clause (2), the difference must be refunded to the employee as provided in section 352.22. If clause (2) is greater than clause (1), the difference must be paid by the employee within six months of electing general plan coverage or before the effective date of the annuity, whichever is sooner.
Subd. 4. Start of coverage. When any person elects participation in the unclassified program all contributions from the time first eligible to make such an election shall be covered by the program.
Subd. 5. Repealed, 2004 c 267 art 1 s 9
Subd. 6. Omitted salary deductions. The provisions of section 352.04, subdivision 8, apply to this section.
HIST: 1971 c 604 s 2; 1973 c 624 s 3; 1975 c 368 s 42,43; 1976 c 329 s 11; 1977 c 429 s 17; 1979 c 50 s 43; 1980 c 607 art 14 s 37; 1981 c 224 s 68,69; 1982 c 399 s 1; 1982 c 560 s 56,57; 1983 c 128 s 33; 1983 c 247 s 138; 1984 c 574 s 8; 1984 c 619 s 14; 1984 c 654 art 2 s 124; art 5 s 58; 1Sp1985 c 10 s 88; 1986 c 444; 1986 c 458 s 7; 1990 c 570 art 4 s 1; 1991 c 233 s 109; 1991 c 317 s 1; 1992 c 446 s 3,4; 1993 c 239 art 1 s 1,2; 1993 c 307 art 3 s 6,7; 1994 c 628 art 1 s 3; art 3 s 30; 1995 c 141 art 4 s 2; 1995 c 212 art 3 s 59; 1997 c 233 art 2 s 3,4; 2Sp1997 c 3 s 18; 2000 c 260 s 56; 2000 c 457 s 7,8; 2000 c 461 art 3 s 3; art 18 s 1; 2002 c 379 art 1 s 77; 2003 c 112 art 2 s 50
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes