(a) The following government data of the Department of Public Safety are private data:
(1) medical data on driving instructors, licensed drivers, and applicants for parking certificates and special license plates issued to physically disabled persons;
(2) other data on holders of a disability certificate under section 169.345, except that (i) data that are not medical data may be released to law enforcement agencies, and (ii) data necessary for enforcement of sections 169.345 and 169.346 may be released to parking enforcement employees or parking enforcement agents of statutory or home rule charter cities and towns;
(3) Social Security numbers in driver's license and motor vehicle registration records, except that Social Security numbers must be provided to the Department of Revenue for purposes of tax administration, the Department of Labor and Industry for purposes of workers' compensation administration and enforcement, the judicial branch for purposes of debt collection, and the Department of Natural Resources for purposes of license application administration, and except that the last four digits of the Social Security number must be provided to the Department of Human Services for purposes of recovery of Minnesota health care program benefits paid;
(4) data on persons listed as standby or temporary custodians under section 171.07, subdivision 11, except that the data must be released to:
(i) law enforcement agencies for the purpose of verifying that an individual is a designated caregiver; or
(ii) law enforcement agencies who state that the license holder is unable to communicate at that time and that the information is necessary for notifying the designated caregiver of the need to care for a child of the license holder; and
(5) race and ethnicity data on driver's license holders and identification card holders under section 171.06, subdivision 3. The Department of Public Safety Office of Traffic Safety is authorized to receive race and ethnicity data from Driver and Vehicle Services for only the purposes of research, evaluation, and public reports.
The department may release the Social Security number only as provided in clause (3) and must not sell or otherwise provide individual Social Security numbers or lists of Social Security numbers for any other purpose.
(b) The following government data of the Department of Public Safety are confidential data: data concerning an individual's driving ability when that data is received from a member of the individual's family.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes