The commissioner must issue "Start Seeing Motorcycles" special license plates or a single motorcycle plate to an applicant who:
(1) is a registered owner of a passenger automobile, noncommercial one-ton pickup truck, motorcycle, or recreational vehicle;
(2) pays a fee in the amount specified for special plates under section 168.12, subdivision 5, for each set of plates;
(3) pays the registration tax as required under section 168.013, along with any other fees required by this chapter;
(4) contributes a minimum of $10 annually to the motorcycle safety fund, created under section 171.06, subdivision 2a, paragraph (a), clause (1); and
(5) complies with this chapter and rules governing registration of motor vehicles and licensing of drivers.
The representatives of American Bikers for Awareness, Training, and Education of Minnesota must design the special plate to contain the inscription "Start Seeing Motorcycles" between the bolt holes on the bottom of the plate with a design area on the left side of the plate, subject to the approval of the commissioner.
On application to the commissioner and payment of a transfer fee of $5, special plates issued under this section may be transferred to another motor vehicle if the subsequent vehicle is:
(1) qualified under subdivision 1, clause (1), to bear the special plates; and
(2) registered to the same individual to whom the special plates were originally issued.
Special plates issued under this section are not subject to section 168.1293, subdivision 2.
Fees collected under subdivision 1, clause (2), and subdivision 3 are credited to the vehicle services operating account in the special revenue fund.
Contributions under this section must not be refunded.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes