Unless the context otherwise clearly requires, the following terms used in this chapter shall have the following meanings:
(1) "Commissioner" means the commissioner of revenue or any person to whom the commissioner has delegated functions under this chapter.
(2) "Federal gross estate" means the gross estate of a decedent as required to be valued and otherwise determined for federal estate tax purposes under the Internal Revenue Code.
(3) "Internal Revenue Code" means the United States Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended through January 3, 2013, but without regard to the provisions of section 2011, paragraph (f), of the Internal Revenue Code.
(4) "Minnesota adjusted taxable estate" means federal adjusted taxable estate as defined by section 2011(b)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, plus
(i) the amount of deduction for state death taxes allowed under section 2058 of the Internal Revenue Code;
(ii) the amount of taxable gifts, as defined in section 292.16, and made by the decedent within three years of the decedent's date of death; less
(iii)(A) the value of qualified small business property under section 291.03, subdivision 9, and the value of qualified farm property under section 291.03, subdivision 10, or (B) $4,000,000, whichever is less.
(5) "Minnesota gross estate" means the federal gross estate of a decedent after (a) excluding therefrom any property included therein which has its situs outside Minnesota, and (b) including therein any property omitted from the federal gross estate which is includable therein, has its situs in Minnesota, and was not disclosed to federal taxing authorities.
(6) "Nonresident decedent" means an individual whose domicile at the time of death was not in Minnesota.
(7) "Personal representative" means the executor, administrator or other person appointed by the court to administer and dispose of the property of the decedent. If there is no executor, administrator or other person appointed, qualified, and acting within this state, then any person in actual or constructive possession of any property having a situs in this state which is included in the federal gross estate of the decedent shall be deemed to be a personal representative to the extent of the property and the Minnesota estate tax due with respect to the property.
(8) "Resident decedent" means an individual whose domicile at the time of death was in Minnesota.
(9) "Situs of property" means, with respect to:
(i) real property, the state or country in which it is located;
(ii) tangible personal property, the state or country in which it was normally kept or located at the time of the decedent's death or for a gift of tangible personal property within three years of death, the state or country in which it was normally kept or located when the gift was executed; and
(iii) intangible personal property, the state or country in which the decedent was domiciled at death or for a gift of intangible personal property within three years of death, the state or country in which the decedent was domiciled when the gift was executed.
For a nonresident decedent with an ownership interest in a pass-through entity with assets that include real or tangible personal property, situs of the real or tangible personal property is determined as if the pass-through entity does not exist and the real or tangible personal property is personally owned by the decedent. If the pass-through entity is owned by a person or persons in addition to the decedent, ownership of the property is attributed to the decedent in proportion to the decedent's capital ownership share of the pass-through entity.
(10) "Pass-through entity" includes the following:
(i) an entity electing S corporation status under section 1362 of the Internal Revenue Code;
(ii) an entity taxed as a partnership under subchapter K of the Internal Revenue Code;
(iii) a single-member limited liability company or similar entity, regardless of whether it is taxed as an association or is disregarded for federal income tax purposes under Code of Federal Regulations, title 26, section 301.7701-3; or
(iv) a trust to the extent the property is includible in the decedent's federal gross estate.
1963 c 740 s 26; 1973 c 185 s 1; 1973 c 582 s 3; 1975 c 347 s 2; 1979 c 303 art 3 s 1; 1980 c 439 s 4; 1981 c 49 s 2; 3Sp1981 c 2 art 6 s 1; 1983 c 222 s 22; 1Sp1985 c 14 art 13 s 2; 1986 c 444; 1989 c 28 s 23; 1990 c 604 art 2 s 16; 1991 c 291 art 6 s 46; 1992 c 511 art 6 s 19; 1993 c 375 art 8 s 14; 1994 c 587 art 1 s 24; 1995 c 264 art 1 s 4; 1996 c 471 art 4 s 5; 1997 c 231 art 6 s 22; 1998 c 389 art 7 s 11; 1999 c 243 art 3 s 6; 2000 c 490 art 12 s 5; 1Sp2001 c 5 art 10 s 10; 2002 c 377 art 12 s 11; 2003 c 127 art 3 s 16; 2005 c 151 art 6 s 19; 2006 c 259 art 2 s 8; 2008 c 154 art 4 s 9; 2009 c 12 art 1 s 11; 2009 c 88 art 1 s 13; 2010 c 216 s 15; 2010 c 334 s 2; 1Sp2011 c 7 art 1 s 3; art 2 s 9; 2013 c 143 art 7 s 4
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes