A person shall be deemed to be practicing dentistry within the meaning of sections 150A.01 to 150A.12:
(1) who uses a dental degree, or designation, or card, device, directory, sign, or other media whereby the person represents an ability to diagnose, treat, prescribe, or operate for any disease, pain, deformity, deficiency, injury, or physical condition of the human tooth, teeth, alveolar process, gums or jaw, or adjacent or associated structures;
(2) who is a manager, proprietor, operator or conductor of a place where dental operations are performed;
(3) who performs dental operations of any kind gratuitously, or for a fee, gift, compensation or reward, paid or to be paid, to any person or agency;
(4) who uses a roentgen or x-ray machine for dental treatment, roentgenograms or for dental diagnostic purposes;
(5) who extracts a human tooth or teeth, or corrects or attempts to correct malpositions of the human teeth or jaws;
(6) who offers and undertakes, by any means or method, to diagnose, treat or remove stains or accretions from human teeth or jaws;
(7) who takes impressions of the human tooth, teeth, or jaws or performs any phase of any operation incident to the replacement of a part of a tooth, a tooth, teeth or associated tissues by means of a filling, a crown, a bridge, a denture or other appliance;
(8) who furnishes, supplies, constructs, reproduces, repairs, or offers to furnish, supply, construct, reproduce or repair prosthetic dentures or plates, bridges or other substitutes for natural teeth, to the user or prospective user thereof; or
(9) who performs any clinical operation included in the curricula of recognized dental schools and colleges.
A person shall be deemed to be practicing as a dental hygienist within the meaning of sections 150A.01 to 150A.12:
(1) who provides care that is educational, preventive, and therapeutic through observation, assessment, evaluation, counseling, and therapeutic services to establish and maintain oral health;
(2) who evaluates patient health status through review of medical and dental histories, assesses and plans dental hygiene care needs, performs a prophylaxis including complete removal of calciferous deposits, accretions and stains by scaling, polishing, and performs root planing and debridement;
(3) who administers local anesthesia and nitrous oxide inhalation analgesia; or
(4) who provides other related services as permitted by the rules of the board.
A person shall be deemed to be practicing as a dental therapist within the meaning of this chapter who:
(1) works under the supervision of a Minnesota-licensed dentist under a collaborative management agreement as specified under section 150A.105;
(2) practices in settings that serve low-income, uninsured, and underserved patients or are located in dental health professional shortage areas; and
(3) provides oral health care services, including preventive, oral evaluation and assessment, educational, palliative, therapeutic, and restorative services as authorized under sections 150A.105 and 150A.106 and within the context of a collaborative management agreement.
Sections 150A.01 to 150A.12 do not apply to:
(1) the practice of dentistry or dental hygiene in any branch of the armed services of the United States, the United States Public Health Service, or the United States Veterans Administration;
(2) the practice of dentistry, dental hygiene, or dental assisting by undergraduate dental students, dental therapy students, dental hygiene students, and dental assisting students of the University of Minnesota, schools of dental hygiene, schools with a dental therapy education program, or schools of dental assisting approved by the board, when acting under the indirect supervision of a Minnesota licensed dentist and under the instruction of a licensed dentist, licensed dental therapist, licensed dental hygienist, or licensed dental assistant;
(3) the practice of dentistry by licensed dentists of other states or countries while appearing as clinicians under the auspices of a duly approved dental school or college, or a reputable dental society, or a reputable dental study club composed of dentists;
(4) the actions of persons while they are taking examinations for licensure administered or approved by the board pursuant to sections 150A.03, subdivision 1, and 150A.06, subdivisions 1, 2, and 2a;
(5) the practice of dentistry by dentists and dental hygienists licensed by other states during their functioning as examiners responsible for conducting licensure examinations administered by regional and national testing agencies with whom the board is authorized to affiliate and participate under section 150A.03, subdivision 1, and the practice of dentistry by the regional and national testing agencies during their administering examinations pursuant to section 150A.03, subdivision 1;
(6) the use of x-rays or other diagnostic imaging modalities for making radiographs or other similar records in a hospital under the supervision of a physician or dentist or by a person who is credentialed to use diagnostic imaging modalities or x-ray machines for dental treatment, roentgenograms, or dental diagnostic purposes by a credentialing agency other than the Board of Dentistry; or
(7) the service, other than service performed directly upon the person of a patient, of constructing, altering, repairing, or duplicating any denture, partial denture, crown, bridge, splint, orthodontic, prosthetic, or other dental appliance, when performed according to a written work order from a licensed dentist or a licensed advanced dental therapist in accordance with section 150A.10, subdivision 3.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes