(a) Students beginning 9th grade in the 2011-2012 school year and later must successfully complete the following high school level course credits for graduation:
(1) four credits of language arts;
(2) three credits of mathematics, encompassing at least algebra, geometry, statistics, and probability sufficient to satisfy the academic standard;
(3) three credits of science, including at least: (i) one credit in biology; and (ii) one chemistry or physics credit or a career and technical education credit that meets standards underlying the chemistry, physics, or biology credit or a combination of those standards approved by the district, but meeting biology standards under this item does not meet the biology requirement under item (i);
(4) three and one-half credits of social studies, encompassing at least United States history, geography, government and citizenship, world history, and economics or three credits of social studies encompassing at least United States history, geography, government and citizenship, and world history, and one-half credit of economics taught in a school's social studies, agriculture education, or business department;
(5) one credit in the arts; and
(6) a minimum of seven elective course credits.
A course credit is equivalent to a student successfully completing an academic year of study or a student mastering the applicable subject matter, as determined by the local school district.
(b) An agriculture science course may fulfill a science credit requirement other than the specified science credit in biology under paragraph (a), clause (3).
(c) A career and technical education course may fulfill a mathematics or arts credit requirement or a science credit requirement other than the specified science credit in biology under paragraph (a), clause (2), (3), or (5).
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes