"Person" means an individual or business entity.
"Commissioner" means the commissioner of commerce or any other person properly acting for the commissioner.
"Adjuster" means a person who on behalf of an insurer or an insured, for compensation as an independent contractor or as an employee of such independent contractor, or as an employee of an insurer, or for a fee or commission, investigates and evaluates claims arising under insurance contracts and negotiates the settlement of such claims.
"Independent adjuster" means a person who:
(1) is an individual, a business entity, an independent contractor, or an employee of a contractor, who contracts for compensation with insurers or self-insurers;
(2) is treated for tax purposes by the insurer or self-insurer in a manner that is consistent with the tax treatment of an independent contractor rather than the tax treatment of an employee, as defined in the Internal Revenue Code, United States Code, title 26, subtitle C; and
(3) investigates, negotiates, or settles property, casualty, or workers' compensation claims for insurers or for self-insurers.
"Public adjuster" means any person who, for compensation or any other thing of value on behalf of the insured:
(1) acts or aids, solely in relation to first-party claims arising under insurance contracts that insure the real or personal property of the insured, on behalf of an insured in negotiating for, or effecting the settlement of, a claim for loss or damage covered by an insurance contract;
(2) advertises for employment as a public adjuster of insurance claims or solicits business or represents to the public as a public adjuster of first-party insurance claims for losses or damages arising out of policies of insurance that insure real or personal property; or
(3) directly or indirectly solicits business, investigates or adjusts losses, or advises an insured about first-party claims for losses or damages arising out of policies of insurance that insure real or personal property for another person engaged in the business of adjusting losses or damages covered by an insurance policy, for the insured.
"Staff adjuster" means an adjuster who is a salaried employee of an insurance company or an affiliate of an insurance company and who is engaged in adjusting insured losses solely for that company or other companies under common control or ownership.
"Public adjuster solicitor" means any person who for money, commission or any other thing of value solicits in any manner or aids in securing for a public adjuster any contract or agreement for the adjustment of a loss.
"Appraiser" means any person engaged independently, for hire by the public or on the staff of an insurer, in the process of evaluating motor vehicle physical damage, who does not endeavor to determine liability or negotiate the settlement of claims arising under automobile insurance contracts.
"Catastrophe" means an event that results in large numbers of deaths or injuries; causes extensive damage or destruction of facilities that provide and sustain human needs; produces an overwhelming demand on state and local response resources and mechanisms; causes a severe long-term effect on general economic activity; or severely affects state, local, and private sector capabilities to begin and sustain response activities. A catastrophe must be declared by the governor of the state, district, or territory in which the catastrophe occurred.
"Single loss" means a loss to a single insured, and does not necessarily include all losses resulting from a common cause.
"Appraiser identification" means a writing including the appraiser's name, place of business, business telephone number, and the name of the insurer or other business entity employing the appraiser, if any.
"Crop hail adjuster" means a person who for money, commission, or other thing of value acts as an adjuster in regard to insurance policies against crop damage by hail.
"Business entity" means a corporation, association, partnership, limited liability company, limited liability partnership, or other legal entity.
"Fingerprint" means an impression of the lines on the finger taken for purpose of identification.
"Home state" means the District of Columbia and any state or territory of the United States in which an adjuster maintains the adjuster's principal place of residence or business and is licensed to act as a resident adjuster. If the resident state does not license adjusters for the line of authority sought, the adjuster shall designate as the adjuster's home state any state in which the adjuster is licensed and in good standing.
"Individual" means a natural person.
"Insurer" means an insurance company.
"Uniform Individual Application" means the current version of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) Uniform Individual Application for resident and nonresident individuals.
"Uniform Business Entity Application" means the current version of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) Uniform Business Entity Application for resident and nonresident business entities.
An "emergency situation" means the occurrence of insured losses of such a number or severity that the ordinary staff adjuster personnel complement of the insurer and the available independent adjusters could not adjust all of the losses resulting from a common cause or related causes in reasonable time.
NOTE: The amendments to subdivisions 2, 5, 6, and 11, by Laws 2009, chapter 63, sections 32 to 35; and subdivisions 15 to 22, as added by Laws 2009, chapter 63, sections 36 to 43, are effective July 1, 2010. Laws 2009, chapter 63, section 78.