168.1255 Veterans World War II memorial contribution plates.
Subdivision 1. General requirements and procedures. The commissioner shall issue special veteran contribution plates to an applicant who:
(1) is a veteran, as defined in section 197.447;
(2) is a registered owner of a passenger automobile;
(3) pays a fee of $10 to cover the costs of handling and manufacturing the plates;
(4) pays the registration tax required under section 168.013;
(5) pays the fees required under this chapter;
(6) pays an additional onetime World War II memorial contribution of $30, which the department shall retain until all start-up costs associated with the development and issuing of the plates have been recovered, after which the commissioner shall deposit contributions in the World War II donation match account; and
(7) complies with this chapter and rules governing the registration of motor vehicles and licensing of drivers.
Subd. 2. Design. The commissioner of veterans affairs shall design an emblem for the special plates, subject to the approval of the commissioner of public safety, that satisfies the requirements in this subdivision:
(1) the special veteran contribution plates must bear the inscription "PROUD TO BE A VETERAN" on the bottom of the plate; and
(2) the flag of the United States of America must appear on the left side of the plate just preceding the first letter or numeral of the special plate number.
Subd. 3. Plate transfers. Despite section 168.12, subdivision 1, on payment of a transfer fee of $5, plates issued under this section may be transferred to another passenger automobile registered to the individual to whom the veteran contribution plates were issued.
Subd. 4. Fees credited. Fees collected under this section do not include the contributions collected for the World War II memorial donation match account.
Subd. 5. Record. The commissioner shall maintain a record of the number of special plates issued under this section.