168.1255 Special veteran contribution license plates.
Subdivision 1. General requirements and procedures. The registrar shall issue special veteran contribution license plates to an applicant who:
(1) is a veteran, as defined in section 197.447;
(2) is an owner or joint owner of a passenger automobile, pickup truck, or van;
(3) pays a fee of $10 to cover the costs of handling and manufacturing the plates;
(4) pays the registration tax required under section 168.013;
(5) pays the fees required under this chapter;
(6) pays an additional onetime World War II memorial contribution of $30, which the department shall retain until all start-up costs associated with the development and issuing of the plates have been recovered, after which the commissioner shall deposit contributions in the World War II donation match account; and
(7) complies with laws and rules governing registration and licensing of vehicles and drivers.
Subd. 2. Design. The commissioner of veterans affairs shall design the special plates, subject to the approval of the registrar, that satisfy the following requirements:
(1) the special veteran contribution plates must bear the inscription "PROUD TO BE A VETERAN" on the bottom of the plate; and
(2) the flag of the United States of America must appear on the left side of the plate just preceding the first letter or numeral of the special license plate number.
Subd. 3. Plate transfers. Notwithstanding section 168.12, subdivision 1, on payment of a transfer fee of $5, plates issued under this section may be transferred to another passenger automobile, pickup truck, or van owned or jointly owned by the person to whom the special plates were issued.
Subd. 4. Fees credited. The fees collected under this section must be deposited in the state treasury and credited to the highway user tax distribution fund. Fees collected under this section do not include the contributions collected for the World War II memorial donation match account.
Subd. 5. Record. The registrar shall maintain a record of the number of special plates issued under this section.
HIST: 2002 c 371 art 1 s 8
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes