115B.42 Solid waste fund.
Subdivision 1. Establishment; appropriation; separate accounting. (a) The solid waste fund is established in the state treasury. The fund consists of money credited to the fund and interest earned on the money in the fund. Except as provided in subdivision 2, clause (7), money in the fund is annually appropriated to the commissioner for the purposes listed in subdivision 2.
(b) The commissioner of finance shall separately account for revenue deposited in the fund from financial assurance funds or other mechanisms, the metropolitan landfill contingency action trust fund, and all other sources of revenue.
Subd. 2. Expenditures. (a) Money in the fund may be spent by the commissioner to:
(1) inspect permitted mixed municipal solid waste disposal facilities to:
(i) evaluate the adequacy of final cover, slopes, vegetation, and erosion control;
(ii) determine the presence and concentration of hazardous substances, pollutants or contaminants, and decomposition gases; and
(iii) determine the boundaries of fill areas;
(2) monitor and take, or reimburse others for, environmental response actions, including emergency response actions, at qualified facilities;
(3) acquire and dispose of property under section 115B.412, subdivision 3;
(4) recover costs under section 115B.39;
(7) subject to appropriation, administer the agency's groundwater and solid waste management programs;
(8) reimburse persons under section 115B.43; and
(9) reimburse mediation expenses up to a total of $250,000 annually or defense costs up to a total of $250,000 annually for third-party claims for response costs under state or federal law as provided in section 115B.414.