For the purposes of this chapter, the terms defined in this section have the meanings given them.
"Controlled substance" means a drug, substance, or immediate precursor in Schedules I through V of section 152.02. The term does not include distilled spirits, wine, malt beverages, intoxicating liquors, or tobacco.
"Distress for rent" means the act of a landlord seizing personal property of the tenant or other person to enforce payment of rent.
"Evict" or "eviction" means a summary court proceeding to remove a tenant or occupant from or otherwise recover possession of real property by the process of law set out in this chapter.
"Housing-related neighborhood organization" means a nonprofit corporation incorporated under chapter 317A that:
(1) designates in its articles of incorporation or bylaws a specific geographic community to which its activities are limited; and
(2) is formed for the purposes of promoting community safety, crime prevention, and housing quality in a nondiscriminatory manner.
For purposes of this chapter, an action taken by a neighborhood organization with the written permission of a residential tenant means, with respect to a building with multiple dwelling units, an action taken by the neighborhood organization with the written permission of the residential tenants of a majority of the occupied units.
"Inspector" means the person charged by the governing body of the political subdivision in which a residential building is situated, with the responsibility of enforcing provisions of local law, the breach of which could constitute a violation as defined in subdivision 14, clause (1). If there is no such person, "inspector" means the county agent of a community health board as authorized under section 145A.04 or the chair of the board of county commissioners, and in the case of a manufactured home park, the state Department of Health or its designee.
"Landlord" means an owner of real property, a contract for deed vendee, receiver, executor, trustee, lessee, agent, or other person directly or indirectly in control of rental property.
"Lease" means an oral or written agreement creating a tenancy in real property.
"License" means a personal privilege to do a particular act or series of acts on real property without possessing any estate or interest in real property. It may be created in writing or orally.
"Person" means a natural person, corporation, limited liability company, partnership, joint enterprise, or unincorporated association.
"Residential building" means:
(1) a building used in whole or in part as a dwelling, including single-family homes, multiple-family units such as apartments, and structures containing both dwelling units and units used for nondwelling purposes, and includes a manufactured home park; or
(2) an unoccupied building which was previously used in whole or in part as a dwelling and which constitutes a nuisance under section 561.01.
"Residential tenant" means a person who is occupying a dwelling in a residential building under a lease or contract, whether oral or written, that requires the payment of money or exchange of services, all other regular occupants of that dwelling unit, or a resident of a manufactured home park.
"Tenancy at will" means a tenancy in which the tenant holds possession by permission of the landlord but without a fixed ending date.
(1) a violation of any state, county or city health, safety, housing, building, fire prevention, or housing maintenance code applicable to the building;
(3) a violation of an oral or written agreement, lease, or contract for the rental of a dwelling in a building.