Skip to main content Skip to office menu Skip to footer
Capital IconMinnesota Legislature

Office of the Revisor of Statutes


A person who has an interest in real estate may bring an action in any county in which all or a part of the real estate is located, seeking a decree that will bar any inchoate interest of the person's spouse in the real estate. The court may grant such a petition if the court finds by clear and convincing evidence that the person's spouse is an incapacitated person as defined in section 524.5-102, subdivision 6, that the person has been deserted by the spouse for a period of at least one year, or that other similar circumstances warrant. The decree may grant the person full control of all the person's real estate located in Minnesota, with power to sell, convey, mortgage, lease, or transfer title to it, subject to any limitations the court considers proper in the circumstances. The decree may not be granted or must be vacated if the petitioner caused or contributed to the incapacity or disappearance of the petitioner's spouse. A certified copy of such decree may be recorded in the office of the county recorder or filed in the office of registrar of titles in any county wherever such real estate, or any part thereof, may be situated.

Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes