"Background check crime" includes child abuse crimes, murder, manslaughter, felony level assault or any assault crime committed against a minor, kidnapping, arson, criminal sexual conduct, and prostitution-related crimes.
"Child" means an individual under the age of 18.
"Child abuse crime" means:
(1) an act committed against a minor victim that constitutes a violation of section 609.185, paragraph (a), clause (5); 609.221; 609.222; 609.223; 609.224; 609.2242; 609.322; 609.324; 609.342; 609.343; 609.344; 609.345; 609.352; 609.377; or 609.378; or
(2) a violation of section 152.021, subdivision 1, clause (4); 152.022, subdivision 1, clause (5) or (6); 152.023, subdivision 1, clause (3) or (4); 152.023, subdivision 2, clause (4) or (6); or 152.024, subdivision 1, clause (2), (3), or (4).
"Children's service provider" means a business or organization, whether public, private, for profit, nonprofit, or voluntary, that provides children's services, including a business or organization that licenses or certifies others to provide children's services. "Children's service provider" includes an international student exchange visitor placement organization under chapter 5A.
"Children's service worker" means a person who has, may have, or seeks to have access to a child to whom the children's service provider provides children's services, and who:
(1) is employed by, volunteers with, or seeks to be employed by or volunteer with a children's service provider;
(2) is an independent contractor who provides children's services to a children's service provider; or
(3) owns, operates, or seeks to own or operate a children's service provider.
"Children's services" means the provision of care, treatment, education, training, instruction, or recreation to children.
"Conviction" means a criminal conviction or an adjudication of delinquency for an offense that would be a crime if committed by an adult.
"Superintendent" means the superintendent of the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension.