(a) The commissioner shall conduct a background study on:
(1) the person or persons applying for a license;
(2) an individual age 13 and over living in the household where the licensed program will be provided who is not receiving licensed services from the program;
(3) current or prospective employees or contractors of the applicant who will have direct contact with persons served by the facility, agency, or program;
(4) volunteers or student volunteers who will have direct contact with persons served by the program to provide program services if the contact is not under the continuous, direct supervision by an individual listed in clause (1) or (3);
(5) an individual age ten to 12 living in the household where the licensed services will be provided when the commissioner has reasonable cause as defined in section 245C.02, subdivision 15;
(6) an individual who, without providing direct contact services at a licensed program, may have unsupervised access to children or vulnerable adults receiving services from a program, when the commissioner has reasonable cause as defined in section 245C.02, subdivision 15;
(7) all controlling individuals as defined in section 245A.02, subdivision 5a;
(8) notwithstanding the other requirements in this subdivision, child care background study subjects as defined in section 245C.02, subdivision 6a; and
(9) notwithstanding clause (3), for children's residential facilities, any adult working in the facility, whether or not the individual will have direct contact with persons served by the facility.
(b) For child foster care when the license holder resides in the home where foster care services are provided, a short-term substitute caregiver providing direct contact services for a child for less than 72 hours of continuous care is not required to receive a background study under this chapter.
The commissioner shall conduct all background studies required under this chapter and initiated by supplemental nursing services agencies registered under section 144A.71, subdivision 1.
The commissioner also may conduct studies on individuals specified in subdivision 1, paragraph (a), clauses (3) and (4), when the studies are initiated by:
(1) personnel pool agencies;
(2) temporary personnel agencies;
(3) educational programs that train individuals by providing direct contact services in licensed programs; and
(4) professional services agencies that are not licensed and which contract with licensed programs to provide direct contact services or individuals who provide direct contact services.
The commissioner shall conduct background studies on applicants and license holders under the jurisdiction of other state agencies who are required in other statutory sections to initiate background studies under this chapter, including the applicant's or license holder's employees, contractors, and volunteers when required under other statutory sections.
The commissioner shall conduct background studies on any individual required under section 256B.4912 to have a background study completed under this chapter.
The commissioner shall conduct background studies according to this chapter when initiated by a children's therapeutic services and supports provider under section 256B.0943.
Upon implementation of NETStudy 2.0, the commissioner shall conduct background studies according to this chapter when initiated by an individual who is not on the master roster. A subject under this subdivision who is not disqualified must be placed on the inactive roster.
The commissioner shall conduct background studies on any individual required under section 256B.85 to have a background study completed under this chapter.
The commissioner shall conduct background studies on any individual required under section 256I.04 to have a background study completed under this chapter.
(a) The commissioner must complete background studies, according to paragraph (b) and section 245C.04, subdivision 10, when initiated by a county social services agency or by a local welfare agency according to section 626.559, subdivision 1b.
(b) For background studies completed by the commissioner under this subdivision, the commissioner shall not make a disqualification decision, but shall provide the background study information received to the county that initiated the study.
2003 c 15 art 1 s 3; 2004 c 288 art 1 s 39,40; 1Sp2005 c 4 art 1 s 26; 2009 c 79 art 6 s 3; 2009 c 142 art 3 s 1; 2009 c 173 art 1 s 4; 1Sp2011 c 9 art 3 s 2; 2012 c 216 art 16 s 16; 2014 c 250 s 5,6; 2014 c 262 art 4 s 9; art 5 s 6; 2014 c 312 art 26 s 1; 2015 c 21 art 1 s 48; 2015 c 71 art 1 s 3,4; art 11 s 8; 2017 c 90 s 2; 1Sp2017 c 6 art 16 s 19,20,68; 2018 c 166 s 6; 1Sp2019 c 9 art 2 s 65
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes