"Authority" means a housing and redevelopment authority or economic development authority created pursuant to section 469.003, 469.004, or 469.091, a port authority pursuant to section 469.049, 469.1082, or special law, or another entity authorized by law to exercise the powers of an authority created pursuant to one of those sections. Authority does not include a residential PACE administrator.
"City" means a home rule charter or statutory city.
"Cost-effective energy improvements" mean:
(1) any new construction, renovation, or retrofitting of qualifying commercial real property to improve energy efficiency that is permanently affixed to the property, results in a net reduction in energy consumption without altering the principal source of energy, and has been identified in an energy audit as repaying the purchase and installation costs in 20 years or less, based on the amount of future energy saved and estimated future energy prices;
(2) any renovation or retrofitting of qualifying residential real property that is permanently affixed to the property and is eligible to receive an incentive through a program offered by the electric or natural gas utility that provides service under section 216B.241 to the property or is otherwise determined to be a cost-effective energy improvement by the commissioner under section 216B.241, subdivision 1d, paragraph (a);
(3) permanent installation of new or upgraded electrical circuits and related equipment to enable electrical vehicle charging; or
(4) a solar voltaic or solar thermal energy system attached to, installed within, or proximate to a building that generates electrical or thermal energy from a renewable energy source that has been identified in an energy audit or renewable energy system feasibility study as repaying their purchase and installation costs in 20 years or less, based on the amount of future energy saved and estimated future energy prices.
"Commercial PACE loan contractor" means a person or entity that installs cost-effective energy improvements financed under a commercial PACE loan program.
"Commercial PACE loan program" means a financing program established under section 216C.436.
"Commissioner" means the commissioner of commerce.
"Energy audit" means a formal evaluation of the energy consumption of a building by a certified energy auditor, whose certification is approved by the commissioner, for the purpose of identifying appropriate energy improvements that could be made to the building and including an estimate of the length of time a specific energy improvement will take to repay its purchase and installation costs, based on the amount of energy saved and estimated future energy prices.
"Homeowner" means an owner of qualifying residential real property. Homeowner includes all the persons on the deed having a legal interest in the property and all persons on the mortgage or note.
"Implementing entity" means the local government or an authority designated by the local government by resolution to implement and administer programs described in sections 216C.436 and 216C.437. Implementing entity does not include a residential PACE administrator.
"Local government" means a city, county, or town.
"Multifamily residential dwelling" means a residential dwelling containing five or more units intended for use as a residence by tenants or lessees of the owner.
"PACE" means property assessed clean energy.
"Qualifying commercial real property" means a multifamily residential dwelling, or a commercial or industrial building, that the implementing entity has determined, after review of an energy audit or renewable energy system feasibility study, can be benefited by installation of cost-effective energy improvements. Qualifying commercial real property includes new construction.
"Qualifying residential real property" means a single-family residential dwelling, or other residential dwelling of four or fewer units, that the implementing entity has determined can be benefited by installation of cost-effective energy improvements.
"Renewable energy" means energy produced by means of solar thermal, solar photovoltaic, wind, or geothermal resources.
"Renewable energy system feasibility study" means a written study, conducted by a contractor trained to perform that analysis, for the purpose of determining the feasibility of installing a renewable energy system in a building, including an estimate of the length of time a specific renewable energy system will take to repay its purchase and installation costs, based on the amount of energy saved and estimated future energy prices. For a geothermal energy improvement, the feasibility study must calculate net savings in terms of nongeothermal energy and costs.
"Residential PACE administrator" means an entity with which the implementing entity contracts to administer all or part of a residential PACE loan program. For purposes of this subdivision, "administer" includes, but is not limited to, the performance of any or all of the following acts, whether directly or through an agent:
(1) marketing, offering, selling, facilitating, or financing, in whole or in part, a residential PACE loan;
(2) facilitating, arranging, or contracting for the installation of the cost-effective energy improvements financed through a residential PACE loan; or
(3) offering any other service to an implementing entity in connection with the offering or provision of a residential PACE loan or operating a residential PACE program.
"Residential PACE loan contract" means the legal agreement for the financing and installation of cost-effective energy improvements under the residential PACE program.
"Residential PACE contractor" means a person or entity that installs cost-effective energy improvements financed, in whole or in part, by a PACE loan.
"Residential PACE lien" means the encumbrance on the qualifying residential real property created by the special assessment as provided in section 216C.437, subdivision 28.
"Residential PACE loan" means the extension of financing that is offered to pay for the installation of cost-effective energy improvements on a homeowner's qualifying residential real property and is repayable by the homeowner through a special assessment as provided under section 216C.437, subdivision 28.
"Residential PACE loan program" means the financing program established under section 216C.437.
"Solar thermal" has the meaning given to "qualifying solar thermal project" in section 216B.2411, subdivision 2, paragraph (e).
"Vulnerable adult" means any person 18 years of age or older who:
(1) receives services from a home care provider required to be licensed under sections 144A.43 to 144A.482, or from a person or organization that offers, provides, or arranges for personal care assistance services under the medical assistance program as authorized under section 256B.0625, subdivision 19a, 256B.0651, 256B.0653, 256B.0654, 256B.0659, or 256B.85;
(2) possesses a physical or mental infirmity or other physical, mental, or emotional dysfunction that impairs the individual's ability to provide adequately for the individual's own care without assistance, including the provision of food, shelter, clothing, health care, or supervision;
(3) possesses a physical or mental infirmity or other physical, mental, or emotional dysfunction that impairs the individual's ability to knowingly contract or otherwise protect the individual's own self-interest; or
(4) identifies as having dementia or Alzheimer's disease, or who exhibits behaviors that a reasonable person would suspect indicates the adult has Alzheimer's disease or other dementia.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes