"Applicant" means a local government unit or units applying for designation of an area as a biotechnology and health sciences industry zone or a joint powers board, established under section 471.59, acting on behalf of two or more local government units.
"Biotechnology and health sciences industry facility" means one or more facilities or operations involved in:
(1) researching, developing, and/or manufacturing a biotechnology product or service or a biotechnology-related health sciences product or service;
(2) researching, developing, and/or manufacturing a biotechnology medical device product or service or a biotechnology-related medical device product or service; or
(3) promoting, supplying, or servicing a facility or operation involved in clause (1) or (2), if the business derives more than 50 percent of its gross receipts from those activities.
"Commissioner" means the commissioner of employment and economic development.
"Development plan" means a plan meeting the requirements of section 469.331.
"Biotechnology and health sciences industry zone" or "zone" means a zone designated by the commissioner under section 469.334.
"Biotechnology and health sciences industry zone percentage" or "zone percentage" means the following fraction reduced to a percentage:
(1) the numerator of the fraction is:
(ii) the ratio of the taxpayer's biotechnology and health sciences industry zone payroll factor under subdivision 8 over the payroll factor numerator determined under section 290.191; and
(2) the denominator of the fraction is two.
When calculating the zone percentage for a business that is part of a unitary business as defined under section 290.17, subdivision 4, the denominator of the payroll and property factors is the Minnesota payroll and property of the unitary business as reported on the combined report under section 290.17, subdivision 4, paragraph (j).
"Biotechnology and health sciences industry zone payroll factor" or "biotechnology and health sciences industry zone payroll" is that portion of the payroll factor under section 290.191 that represents:
(1) wages or salaries paid to an individual for services performed for a qualified business in a biotechnology and health sciences industry zone; or
(2) wages or salaries paid to individuals working from offices of a qualified business within a biotechnology and health sciences industry zone if their employment requires them to work outside the zone and the work is incidental to the work performed by the individual within the zone.
"Local government unit" means a statutory or home rule charter city, county, town, or school district.
"Person" includes an individual, corporation, partnership, limited liability company, association, or any other entity.
(a) "Qualified business" means a person carrying on a trade or business at a biotechnology and health sciences industry facility located within a biotechnology and health sciences industry zone. A person is a qualified business only on those parcels of land for which it has entered into a business subsidy agreement, as required under section 469.333, with the appropriate local government unit in which the parcels are located.
(b) A person that relocates a biotechnology and health sciences industry facility from outside a biotechnology and health sciences industry zone into a zone is not a qualified business, unless the business:
(1)(i) increases full-time employment in the first full year of operation within the biotechnology and health sciences industry zone by at least 20 percent measured relative to the operations that were relocated and maintains the required level of employment for each year the zone designation applies; or
(ii) makes a capital investment in the property located within a zone equivalent to ten percent of the gross revenues of operation that were relocated in the immediately preceding taxable year; and
(2) enters a binding written agreement with the commissioner that:
(i) pledges the business will meet the requirements of clause (1);
(iii) contains any other terms the commissioner determines appropriate.
(a) "Relocates" means that the trade or business:
(1) ceases one or more operations or functions at another location in Minnesota and begins performing substantially the same operations or functions at a location in a biotechnology and health sciences industry zone; or
(2) reduces employment at another location in Minnesota during a period starting one year before and ending one year after it begins operations in a biotechnology and health sciences industry zone and its employees in the biotechnology and health sciences industry zone are engaged in the same line of business as the employees at the location where it reduced employment.
(b) "Relocate" does not include an expansion by a business that establishes a new facility that does not replace or supplant an existing operation or employment, in whole or in part.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes