"Commissioner of health" means the state commissioner of health established by section 144.011.
"Board of Examiners" means the Board of Examiners for Nursing Home Administrators established by section 144A.19.
"Certified" means certified for participation as a provider in the Medicare or Medicaid programs under title XVIII or XIX of the Social Security Act.
(a) "Controlling person" means any public body, governmental agency, business entity, officer, nursing home administrator, or director whose responsibilities include the direction of the management or policies of a nursing home. "Controlling person" also means any person who, directly or indirectly, beneficially owns any interest in:
(1) any corporation, partnership or other business association which is a controlling person;
(2) the land on which a nursing home is located;
(3) the structure in which a nursing home is located;
(4) any mortgage, contract for deed, or other obligation secured in whole or part by the land or structure comprising a nursing home; or
(5) any lease or sublease of the land, structure, or facilities comprising a nursing home.
(b) "Controlling person" does not include:
(1) a bank, savings bank, trust company, savings association, credit union, industrial loan and thrift company, investment banking firm, or insurance company unless the entity directly or through a subsidiary operates a nursing home;
(2) an individual state official or state employee, or a member or employee of the governing body of a political subdivision of the state which operates one or more nursing homes, unless the individual is also an officer or director of a nursing home, receives any remuneration from a nursing home, or owns any of the beneficial interests not excluded in this subdivision;
(3) a natural person who is a member of a tax-exempt organization under section 290.05, subdivision 2, unless the individual is also an officer or director of a nursing home, or owns any of the beneficial interests not excluded in this subdivision; and
(4) a natural person who owns less than five percent of the outstanding common shares of a corporation:
(i) whose securities are exempt by virtue of section 80A.45, clause (6); or
(ii) whose transactions are exempt by virtue of section 80A.46, clause (7).
"Emergency" means a situation or physical condition that creates or probably will create an immediate and serious threat to a resident's health or safety.
"Nursing home" means a facility or that part of a facility which provides nursing care to five or more persons. "Nursing home" does not include a facility or that part of a facility which is a hospital, a hospital with approved swing beds as defined in section 144.562, clinic, doctor's office, diagnostic or treatment center, or a residential program licensed pursuant to sections 245A.01 to 245A.16 or 252.28.
"Nursing care" means health evaluation and treatment of patients and residents who are not in need of an acute care facility but who require nursing supervision on an inpatient basis. The commissioner of health may by rule establish levels of nursing care.
"Uncorrected violation" means a violation of a statute or rule or any other deficiency for which a notice of noncompliance has been issued and fine assessed and allowed to be recovered pursuant to section 144A.10, subdivision 8.
"Managerial employee" means an employee of a nursing home whose duties include the direction of some or all of the management or policies of the nursing home.
"Nursing home administrator" means a person who administers, manages, supervises, or is in general administrative charge of a nursing home, whether or not the individual has an ownership interest in the home, and whether or not the person's functions and duties are shared with one or more individuals, and who is licensed pursuant to section 144A.21.
"Repeated violation" means the issuance of two or more correction orders, within a 12-month period, for a violation of the same provision of a statute or rule.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes