609.10 SENTENCES AVAILABLE.
Subdivision 1. Sentences available.
Upon conviction of a felony and compliance with the
other provisions of this chapter the court, if it imposes sentence, may sentence the defendant to
the extent authorized by law as follows:
(1) to life imprisonment; or
(2) to imprisonment for a fixed term of years set by the court; or
(3) to both imprisonment for a fixed term of years and payment of a fine; or
(4) to payment of a fine without imprisonment or to imprisonment for a fixed term of years if
the fine is not paid; or
(5) to payment of court-ordered restitution in addition to either imprisonment or payment
of a fine, or both; or
(6) to payment of a local correctional fee as authorized under section
to any other sentence imposed by the court.
Subd. 2. Restitution.
(a) As used in this section, "restitution" includes:
(1) payment of compensation to the victim or the victim's family; and
(2) if the victim is deceased or already has been fully compensated, payment of money to a
victim assistance program or other program directed by the court.
"Restitution" includes payment of compensation to a government entity that incurs loss as
a direct result of a crime.
(b) When the defendant does not pay the entire amount of court-ordered restitution and the
fine at the same time, the court may order that all restitution shall be paid before the fine is paid.
History: 1963 c 753 art 1 s 609.10; 1978 c 723 art 1 s 13; 1984 c 610 s 1; 1992 c 571 art 11
s 12; 1995 c 244 s 10; 1996 c 408 art 7 s 2; 1997 c 239 art 7 s 16