609.10 Sentences available.
Subdivision 1. Sentences available. Upon conviction of a felony and compliance with the other provisions of this chapter the court, if it imposes sentence, may sentence the defendant to the extent authorized by law as follows:
(1) to life imprisonment; or
(2) to imprisonment for a fixed term of years set by the court; or
(3) to both imprisonment for a fixed term of years and payment of a fine; or
(4) to payment of a fine without imprisonment or to imprisonment for a fixed term of years if the fine is not paid; or
(5) to payment of court-ordered restitution in addition to either imprisonment or payment of a fine, or both; or
(6) to payment of a local correctional fee as authorized under section 609.102 in addition to any other sentence imposed by the court.
Subd. 2. Restitution. (a) As used in this section, "restitution" includes:
(1) payment of compensation to the victim or the victim's family; and
(2) if the victim is deceased or already has been fully compensated, payment of money to a victim assistance program or other program directed by the court.
"Restitution" includes payment of compensation to a government entity that incurs loss as a direct result of a crime.
(b) When the defendant does not pay the entire amount of court-ordered restitution and the fine at the same time, the court may order that all restitution shall be paid before the fine is paid.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes