169.471 TELEVISION; HEADPHONES.
Subdivision 1. Television screen in vehicle.
No television screen shall be installed or used in
any motor vehicle where it is visible to the driver while operating the motor vehicle except:
(1) video screens installed in law enforcement vehicles;
(2) closed-circuit video systems used exclusively to aid the driver's visibility to the rear
or sides of the vehicle; and
(3) video screens installed as part of a vehicle control system or used in intelligent vehicle
Subd. 2. Use of headphones in vehicle.
(a) No person, while operating a motor vehicle, shall
wear headphones or earphones that are used in both ears simultaneously for purposes of receiving
or listening to broadcasts or reproductions from radios, tape decks, or other sound-producing or
(b) Paragraph (a) does not prohibit:
(1) the use of a hearing aid device by a person who needs the device; or
(2) the use of a communication headset by a firefighter while operating a fire department
emergency vehicle in response to an emergency.
History: 1949 c 78 s 1,2; Ex1971 c 27 s 12; 1974 c 460 s 1; 1993 c 26 s 4; 1999 c 131
s 2; 2006 c 208 s 1