Skip to main content Skip to office menu Skip to footer
Capital IconMinnesota Legislature

Office of the Revisor of Statutes

97A.401 Special permits.

Subdivision 1. Commissioner's authority. The commissioner may issue special permits for the activities in this section.

Subd. 2. Zoological specimen collecting. Special permits may be issued without a fee to municipalities, incorporated natural history societies, high schools, colleges, and universities that maintain a zoological collection, to collect specimens of eggs, nests, and wild animals for scientific or exhibition purposes.

Subd. 3. Taking, possessing, and transporting wild animals for certain purposes. (a) Except as provided in paragraph (b), special permits may be issued without a fee to take, possess, and transport wild animals as pets and for scientific, educational, rehabilitative, wildlife disease prevention and control, and exhibition purposes. The commissioner shall prescribe the conditions for taking, possessing, transporting, and disposing of the wild animals.

(b) A special permit may not be issued to take or possess wild or native deer for exhibition, propagation, or as pets.

Subd. 4. Taking wild animals from game refuges, wildlife management, and other areas. Special permits may be issued, with or without a fee, to take a wild animal from game refuges, wildlife management areas, state parks, controlled hunting zones, and other areas of the state that the commissioner may open for the taking of a wild animal during a special season or subject to special restrictions. In addition, an application fee may be charged for a special permit. Local units of government may charge an administrative fee in connection with special hunts under their jurisdiction. Fees to be collected shall be based upon the estimated cost of conducting the special season or administering the special restrictions.

Subd. 5. Wild animals damaging property. Special permits may be issued with or without a fee to take protected wild animals that are damaging property or to remove or destroy their dens, nests, houses, or dams. A special permit issued under this subdivision to take beaver must state the number to be taken.

Subd. 6. Endangered muskrats. Special permits may be issued with or without a fee to take muskrats in danger of freezing out or starving in the winter.

Subd. 7. Raptors. The commissioner shall prescribe conditions and may issue permits for persons to breed, propagate, and sell raptors.

HIST: 1986 c 386 art 1 s 53; 1986 c 450 s 2; 1989 c 287 s 2; 1993 c 231 s 17; 1Sp1995 c 1 s 21; 1996 c 410 s 24; 2003 c 128 art 1 s 55; 2005 c 146 s 9