216B.1635 Recovery of gas utility infrastructure costs.
Subdivision 1. Definitions. (a) "Gas utility" means a public utility as defined in section 216B.02, subdivision 4, that furnishes natural gas service to retail customers.
(b) "Gas utility infrastructure costs" or "GUIC" means gas utility projects that:
(1) do not serve to increase revenues by directly connecting the infrastructure replacement to new customers;
(2) are in service but were not included in the gas utility's rate base in its most recent general rate case; and
(3) replace or modify existing infrastructure if the replacement or modification does not constitute a betterment, unless the betterment is required by a political subdivision, as evidenced by specific documentation from the government entity requiring the replacement or modification of infrastructure.
(c) "Gas utility projects" means relocation and replacement of natural gas facilities located in the public right-of-way required by the construction or improvement of a highway, road, street, public building, or other public work by or on behalf of the United States, the state of Minnesota, or a political subdivision.
Subd. 2. Filing. (a) The commission may approve a gas utility's petition for a rate schedule to recover GUIC under this section. A gas utility may petition the commission to recover a rate of return, income taxes on the rate of return, incremental property taxes, plus incremental depreciation expense associated with GUIC.
(b) The filing is subject to the following:
(1) A gas utility may submit a filing under this section no more than once per year.
(2) A gas utility must file sufficient information to satisfy the commission regarding the proposed GUIC or be subject to denial by the commission. The information includes, but is not limited to:
(i) the government entity ordering the gas utility project and the purpose for which the project is undertaken;
(ii) the location, description, and costs associated with the project;
(iii) a description of the costs, and salvage value, if any, associated with the existing infrastructure replaced or modified as a result of the project;
(iv) the proposed rate design and an explanation of why the proposed rate design is in the public interest;
(v) the magnitude and timing of any known future gas utility projects that the utility may seek to recover under this section;
(vi) the magnitude of GUIC in relation to the gas utility's base revenue as approved by the commission in the gas utility's most recent general rate case, exclusive of gas purchase costs and transportation charges;
(vii) the magnitude of GUIC in relation to the gas utility's capital expenditures since its most recent general rate case;
(viii) the amount of time since the utility last filed a general rate case and the utility's reasons for seeking recovery outside of a general rate case; and
(ix) documentation supporting the calculation of the GUIC.
Subd. 3. Commission authority; rules. The commission may issue orders and adopt rules necessary to implement and administer this section.
HIST: 2005 c 97 art 10 s 1
* NOTE: This section as added by Laws 2005, chapter 97, *article 10, section 1, expires June 30, 2015. Laws 2005, *chapter 97, article 10, section 3.