356.611 Limitation on public employee salaries for pension purposes.
Subdivision 1. State salary limitations. (a) Notwithstanding any provision of law, bylaws, articles of incorporation, retirement and disability allowance plan agreements, or retirement plan contracts to the contrary, the covered salary for pension purposes for a plan participant of a covered retirement fund enumerated in section 356.30, subdivision 3, may not exceed 95 percent of the salary established for the governor under section 15A.082 at the time the person received the salary.
(b) This section does not apply to a salary paid:
(1) to the governor or to a judge;
(2) to an employee of a political subdivision in a position that is excluded from the limit as specified under section 43A.17, subdivision 9;
(3) to a state employee as defined under section 43A.02, subdivision 21;
(4) to an employee of Gillette Hospital who is covered by the general state employees retirement plan of the Minnesota State Retirement System;
(5) to an employee of the Minnesota Crop Improvement Council; or
(6) to an employee of the Minnesota Historical Society.
(c) The limited covered salary determined under this section must be used in determining employee and employer contributions and in determining retirement annuities and other benefits under the respective covered retirement fund and under this chapter.
Subd. 2. Federal compensation limits. (a) For members of a covered pension plan enumerated in section 356.30, subdivision 3, compensation in excess of the limitation specified in section 401(a)(17) of the Internal Revenue Code, as amended, for changes in the cost of living under section 401(a)(17)(B) of the Internal Revenue Code, may not be included for contribution and benefit computation purposes.
(b) Notwithstanding paragraph (a), for members specified in paragraph (a) who first contributed to a covered plan before July 1, 1995, the annual compensation limit specified in Internal Revenue Code 401(a)(17) on June 30, 1993, applies if that provides a greater allowable annual compensation.
Subd. 3. Maximum benefit limitations. A member's annual benefit, if necessary, must be reduced to the extent required by section 415(b) of the Internal Revenue Code, as adjusted by the United States Secretary of the Treasury under section 415(d) of the Internal Revenue Code. For purposes of section 415 of the Internal Revenue Code, the limitation year of a pension plan covered by this section must be the fiscal year or calendar year of that plan, whichever is applicable. The accrued benefit limitation described in section 415(e) of the Internal Revenue Code must cease to be effective for limitation years beginning after December 31, 1999.
Subd. 4. Compensation. (a) For purposes of this section, compensation means a member's compensation actually paid or made available for any limitation year determined as provided by Treasury Regulation Section 1.415-2(d)(10).
(b) Compensation for any period includes:
(1) any elective deferral as defined in section 402(g)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code;
(2) any elective amounts that are not includable in a member's gross income by reason of sections 125 or 457 of the Internal Revenue Code; and
(3) any elective amounts that are not includable in a member's gross income by reason of section 132(f)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes