216B.1691 Renewable energy objectives.
Subdivision 1. Definitions. (a) "Eligible energy technology" means an energy technology that:
(1) generates electricity from the following renewable energy sources: solar, wind, hydroelectric with a capacity of less than 60 megawatts, or biomass; and
(2) was not mandated by state law or commission order enacted or issued prior to August 1, 2001.
(b) "Electric utility" means a public utility providing electric service, a generation and transmission cooperative electric association, or a municipal power agency.
Subd. 2. Eligible energy objectives. (a) Each electric utility shall make a good faith effort to generate or procure sufficient electricity generated by an eligible energy technology to provide its retail consumers, or the retail members of a distribution utility to which the electric utility provides wholesale electric service, so that:
(1) commencing in 2005, at least one percent of the electric energy provided to those retail customers is generated by eligible energy technologies;
(2) the amount provided under clause (1) is increased by one percent each year until 2015;
(3) ten percent of the electric energy provided to retail customers in Minnesota is generated by eligible energy technologies; and
(4) of the eligible energy technology generation required under clauses (1) and (2), at least 0.5 percent of the energy must be generated by biomass energy technologies by 2010 and one percent by 2015.
(b) Each electric utility shall report on its activities and progress with regard to these objectives in their filings under section 216B.2422.
(c) The commission, in consultation with the commissioner of commerce, shall compile the information provided to the commission under paragraph (b), and report to the chairs of the house of representatives and senate committees with jurisdiction over energy and environment policy issues as to the progress of utilities in the state in increasing the amount of renewable energy provided to retail customers, with any recommendations for regulatory or legislative action, by January 15, 2002.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes