Subdivision 1. Amounts. The following fees must be paid to the commissioner:
(1) for an initial residential mortgage originator license, $850, $50 of which is credited to the consumer education account in the special revenue fund;
(2) for a renewal license, $450, $50 of which is credited to the consumer education account in the special revenue fund;
(3) for an initial residential mortgage servicer's license, $1,000;
(4) for a renewal license, $500; and
(5) for a certificate of exemption, $100.
Subd. 2. Forfeiture. All fees are nonrefundable except that an overpayment of a fee must be refunded upon proper application.
Subd. 3. Consumer education account; money credited and appropriated. (a) The consumer education account is created in the special revenue fund. Money credited to this account may be appropriated to the commissioner for the purpose of making grants to programs and campaigns designed to help consumers avoid being victimized by unscrupulous lenders and mortgage brokers. Preference shall be given to programs and campaigns designed by coalitions of public sector, private sector, and nonprofit agencies, institutions, companies, and organizations.
(b) A sum sufficient is appropriated annually from the consumer education account to the commissioner to make the grants described in paragraph (a).