Subdivision 1. Definitions. For purposes of sections 295.50 to 295.59, the following terms have the meanings given.
Subd. 2. Commissioner. "Commissioner" is the commissioner of revenue.
Subd. 2a. Delivered outside of Minnesota. "Delivered outside of Minnesota" means property which the seller delivers to a common carrier for delivery outside Minnesota, places in the United States mail or parcel post directed to the purchaser outside Minnesota, or delivers to the purchaser outside Minnesota by means of the seller's own delivery vehicles, and which is not later returned to a point within Minnesota, except in the course of interstate commerce.
Subd. 3. Gross revenues. "Gross revenues" are total amounts received in money or otherwise by:
(1) a hospital for patient services;
(2) a surgical center for patient services;
(3) a health care provider, other than a staff model health carrier, for patient services;
(4) a wholesale drug distributor for sale or distribution of legend drugs that are delivered in Minnesota by the wholesale drug distributor, by common carrier, or by mail, unless the legend drugs are delivered to another wholesale drug distributor who sells legend drugs exclusively at wholesale. Legend drugs do not include nutritional products as defined in Minnesota Rules, part 9505.0325; and
(5) a staff model health plan company as gross premiums for enrollees, copayments, deductibles, coinsurance, and fees for patient services.
Subd. 4. Health care provider. (a) "Health care provider" means:
(1) a person whose health care occupation is regulated or required to be regulated by the state of Minnesota furnishing any or all of the following goods or services directly to a patient or consumer: medical, surgical, optical, visual, dental, hearing, nursing services, drugs, laboratory, diagnostic or therapeutic services;
(2) a person who provides goods and services not listed in clause (1) that qualify for reimbursement under the medical assistance program provided under chapter 256B;
(3) a staff model health plan company;
(4) an ambulance service required to be licensed; or
(5) a person who sells or repairs hearing aids and related equipment or prescription eyewear.
(b) Health care provider does not include:
(1) hospitals; medical supplies distributors, except as specified under paragraph (a), clause (5); nursing homes licensed under chapter 144A or licensed in any other jurisdiction; pharmacies; surgical centers; bus and taxicab transportation, or any other providers of transportation services other than ambulance services required to be licensed; supervised living facilities for persons with mental retardation or related conditions, licensed under Minnesota Rules, parts 4665.0100 to 4665.9900; residential care homes licensed under chapter 144B; board and lodging establishments providing only custodial services that are licensed under chapter 157 and registered under section 157.17 to provide supportive services or health supervision services; adult foster homes as defined in Minnesota Rules, part 9555.5105; day training and habilitation services for adults with mental retardation and related conditions as defined in section 252.41, subdivision 3; boarding care homes, as defined in Minnesota Rules, part 4655.0100; and adult day care centers as defined in Minnesota Rules, part 9555.9600;
(2) home health agencies as defined in Minnesota Rules, part 9505.0175, subpart 15; a person providing personal care services and supervision of personal care services as defined in Minnesota Rules, part 9505.0335; a person providing private duty nursing services as defined in Minnesota Rules, part 9505.0360; and home care providers required to be licensed under chapter 144A;
(3) a person who employs health care providers solely for the purpose of providing patient services to its employees; and
(4) an educational institution that employs health care providers solely for the purpose of providing patient services to its students if the institution does not receive fee for service payments or payments for extended coverage.
Subd. 5. Repealed, 1993 c 345 art 13 s 24
Subd. 6. Home health care services. "Home health care services" are services:
(1) defined under the state medical assistance program as home health agency services provided by a home health agency, personal care services and supervision of personal care services, private duty nursing services, and waivered services or services by home care providers required to be licensed under chapter 144A; and
(2) provided at a recipient's residence, if the recipient does not live in a hospital, nursing facility, as defined in section 62A.46, subdivision 3, or intermediate care facility for persons with mental retardation as defined in section 256B.055, subdivision 12, paragraph (d).
Subd. 6a. Hospice care services. "Hospice care services" are services:
(1) as defined in Minnesota Rules, part 9505.0297; and
(2) provided at a recipient's residence, if the recipient does not live in a hospital, nursing facility as defined in section 62A.46, subdivision 3, or intermediate care facility for persons with mental retardation as defined in section 256B.055, subdivision 12, paragraph (d).
Subd. 7. Hospital. "Hospital" means a hospital licensed under chapter 144, or a hospital licensed by any other jurisdiction.
Subd. 8. Repealed, 1996 c 471 art 6 s 13
Subd. 9. Repealed, 1996 c 471 art 6 s 13
Subd. 9a. Repealed, 1996 c 471 art 6 s 13
Subd. 9b. Patient services. (a) "Patient services" means inpatient and outpatient services and other goods and services provided by hospitals, surgical centers, or health care providers. They include the following health care goods and services provided to a patient or consumer:
(1) bed and board;
(2) nursing services and other related services;
(3) use of hospitals, surgical centers, or health care provider facilities;
(4) medical social services;
(5) drugs, biologicals, supplies, appliances, and equipment;
(6) other diagnostic or therapeutic items or services;
(7) medical or surgical services;
(8) items and services furnished to ambulatory patients not requiring emergency care;
(9) emergency services; and
(b) "Patient services" does not include:
(1) services provided to nursing homes licensed under chapter 144A; and
(2) examinations for purposes of utilization reviews, insurance claims or eligibility, litigation, and employment, including reviews of medical records for those purposes.
Subd. 9c. Person. "Person" means an individual, partnership, limited liability company, corporation, association, governmental unit or agency, or public or private organization of any kind.
Subd. 10. Repealed, 1993 c 345 art 13 s 24
Subd. 10a. Pharmacy. "Pharmacy" means a pharmacy required to be licensed under chapter 151, or a pharmacy required to be licensed by any other jurisdiction.
Subd. 10b. Regional treatment center. "Regional treatment center" means a regional center as defined in section 253B.02, subdivision 18, and named in sections 252.025, subdivision 1; 253.015, subdivision 1; 253.201; and 254.05.
Subd. 11. Repealed, 1996 c 471 art 6 s 13
Subd. 12. Repealed, 1996 c 471 art 6 s 13
Subd. 12a. Repealed, 1996 c 471 art 6 s 13
Subd. 12b. Staff model health plan company. "Staff model health plan company" means a health plan company as defined in section 62Q.01, subdivision 4, which employs one or more types of health care provider to deliver health care services to the health plan company's enrollees.
Subd. 13. Surgical center. "Surgical center" is an outpatient surgical center as defined in Minnesota Rules, chapter 4675, or a similar facility located in any other jurisdiction.
Subd. 15. Legend drug. "Legend drug" means a drug that is required by federal law to bear one of the following statements: "Caution: Federal law prohibits dispensing without prescription" or "Rx only".
HIST: 1992 c 549 art 9 s 5; 1993 c 345 art 13 s 3-10; 1Sp1993 c 6 s 19-23; 1994 c 625 art 8 s 64,65; art 13 s 6-9; 1995 c 234 art 9 s 4-6; 1995 c 264 art 18 s 1,2; 1996 c 305 art 1 s 65; 1996 c 471 art 6 s 1-3; 1997 c 31 art 4 s 1-5; 1997 c 84 art 4 s 1,2; 1997 c 225 art 3 s 4-9,23; 1997 c 251 s 28; 1999 c 243 art 8 s 1; 2000 c 490 art 9 s 2; 1Sp2001 c 5 art 14 s 2-4
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes