297A.71 Construction exemptions.
Subdivision 1. Scope. The gross receipts from the sale of, and storage, distribution, use, or consumption of the tangible personal property contained in this section are specifically exempted from the taxes imposed by this chapter. Building materials, equipment, and supplies and other items exempt under this section are exempt regardless of whether purchased by the owner or a contractor, subcontractor, or builder.
Subd. 2. State convention center. Building materials and supplies for constructing improvements to a state convention center located in a city outside the metropolitan area as defined in section 473.121, subdivision 2, and governed by an 11-person board of which four are appointed by the governor are exempt if the improvements are financed in whole or in part by nonstate resources including, but not limited to, revenue or general obligations issued by the state convention center board of the city in which the center is located.
Subd. 3. Correctional facilities. Building materials and supplies for constructing or improving an adult or juvenile correctional facility by a county, home rule charter city, or statutory city are exempt if the project is mandated by state or federal law, rule, or regulation. The tax must be imposed and collected as if the rate under section 297A.62, subdivision 1, applied and then refunded in the manner provided in section 297A.75.
Subd. 4. Lake Superior Center. Building materials and supplies for construction of the Lake Superior Center are exempt.
Subd. 5. Science Museum. Building materials and supplies for construction of the Science Museum of Minnesota are exempt.
Subd. 6. Business incubator and industrial park. Building materials and supplies for construction of a facility that includes a business incubator and industrial park are exempt if the facility:
(1) is owned and operated by a nonprofit charitable organization that qualifies for tax exemption under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code;
(2) is used for the development of nonretail businesses, offering access to equipment, space, services, and advice to the tenant businesses, for the purpose of encouraging economic development and job creation in the area served by the organization, and emphasizes development of businesses that manufacture products from materials found in the waste stream, or manufacture alternative energy and conservation systems, or make use of emerging environmental technologies;
(3) includes in its structure systems of material and energy exchanges that use waste products from one industrial process as sources of energy and material for other processes; and
(4) makes use of solar and wind energy technology and incorporates salvaged materials in its construction.
Subd. 7. Alfalfa processing facility. Building materials and supplies for constructing a facility that either develops market-value agricultural products made from alfalfa leaf material, or produces biomass energy fuel or electricity from alfalfa stems in accordance with the biomass mandate imposed under section 216B.2424 are exempt if the total capital investment made in the value-added agricultural products and biomass electric generation facilities is at least $50,000,000.
Subd. 8. Wood waste cogeneration facility. Building materials and supplies for constructing, equipping, or modifying a district heating and cooling system cogeneration facility are exempt if the facility:
(1) utilizes wood waste as a primary fuel source; and
(2) satisfies the requirements of the biomass mandate in section 216B.2424, subdivision 5.
Subd. 9. Direct satellite broadcasting facility. Building materials and supplies for constructing a new facility in Minnesota for providing federal communications commission licensed direct satellite broadcasting services using direct broadcast satellites operating in the 12-GHz. band or fixed satellite regional or national program services, as defined in section 272.02, subdivision 16, are exempt if construction of the facility was commenced after June 30, 1993. All machinery, equipment, tools, accessories, appliances, contrivances, furniture, fixtures, and all technical equipment or tangible personal property of any other nature or description necessary to the construction and equipping of that facility in order to provide those services are also exempt.
Subd. 10. Aircraft heavy maintenance facility. Materials, equipment, and supplies used or consumed in constructing a heavy maintenance facility for aircraft that is to be owned by the state of Minnesota or one of its political subdivisions and leased by an airline company, or an aircraft engine repair facility described in section 116R.02, subdivision 6, are exempt. Except for equipment owned or leased by a contractor, all machinery, equipment, and tools necessary to the construction and equipping of that facility in order to provide those services are also exempt.
Subd. 11. Building materials; disabled veterans. Building materials to be used in the construction or remodeling of a residence are exempt when the construction or remodeling is financed in whole or in part by the United States in accordance with United States Code, title 38, sections 2101 to 2105. The tax must be imposed and collected as if the rate under section 297A.62, subdivision 1, applied and then refunded in the manner provided in section 297A.75.
Subd. 12. Chair lifts, ramps, elevators. Chair lifts, ramps, and elevators and building materials used to install or construct them are exempt, if they are authorized by a physician and installed in or attached to the owner's homestead. The tax must be imposed and collected as if the rate under section 297A.62, subdivision 1, applied and then refunded in the manner provided in section 297A.75.
Subd. 13. Agriculture processing facility materials. Building materials and supplies for constructing an agriculture processing facility as defined in section 469.1811 in which the total capital investment in the processing facility is expected to exceed $100,000,000 are exempt. The tax must be imposed and collected as if the rate under section 297A.62, subdivision 1, applied, and then refunded in the manner provided in section 297A.75.
Subd. 14. Mineral production facilities. Building materials, equipment, and supplies used for the construction of the following mineral production facilities are exempt.
The mineral production facilities that qualify for this exemption are:
(1) a value added iron products plant, which may be either a new plant or a facility incorporated into an existing plant that produces iron upgraded to a minimum of 75 percent iron content or any iron alloy with a total minimum metallic content of 90 percent;
(2) a facility used for the manufacture of fluxed taconite pellets as defined in section 298.24;
(3) a new capital project that has a total cost of over $40,000,000 that is directly related to production, cost, or quality at an existing taconite facility that does not qualify under clause (1) or (2); and
(4) a new mine or minerals processing plant for any mineral subject to the net proceeds tax imposed under section 298.015.
Subd. 15. Minneapolis convention center. Materials, supplies, or equipment used or consumed in the construction, equipment, improvement, or expansion of the Minneapolis convention center are exempt.
Subd. 16. RiverCentre arena. Materials, supplies, or equipment used or consumed in the construction, equipment, improvement, or expansion of the RiverCentre arena complex in the city of St. Paul are exempt.
Subd. 17. Environmental learning center. Construction materials and supplies are exempt if they are used or consumed in constructing or improving the Long Lake Conservation Center pursuant to the funding provided under Laws 1994, chapter 643, section 23, subdivision 28, as amended by Laws 1995, First Special Session chapter 2, article 1, section 48; Laws 1996, chapter 463, section 7, subdivision 26; and Laws 1997, chapter 246, section 24. The tax must be calculated and paid as if the rate in section 297A.62, subdivision 1, was in effect and a refund applied for in the manner prescribed in section 297A.75.
Subd. 18. Soybean oilseed processing and refining facility. Construction materials and supplies are exempt if:
(1) the materials and supplies are used or consumed in constructing a facility for soybean oilseed processing and refining;
(2) the total capital investment made in the facility is at least $60,000,000; and
(3) the facility is constructed by a Minnesota-based cooperative organized under chapter 308A.
Subd. 19. Earle Brown Heritage Center. Materials and supplies used or consumed in and equipment incorporated into the construction, improvement, or expansion of the Earle Brown Heritage Center in Brooklyn Center are exempt. This subdivision is effective for purchases made before July 1, 2003.
Subd. 20. Construction materials and supplies; beef processing facility. Materials and supplies used or consumed in, and equipment incorporated into, the expansion, remodeling, or improvement of a facility used for cattle slaughtering are exempt if:
(1) the cost of the project is expected to exceed $15,000,000;
(2) the expansion, remodeling, or improvement of the facility will be used to fabricate beef;
(3) the number of jobs at the facility is expected to increase by at least 150 when the project is completed; and
(4) the project is expected to be completed by December 31, 2001.
Subd. 21. Construction materials and equipment; biomass electrical generating facility. Materials and supplies used or consumed in, and equipment incorporated into, the construction, improvement, or expansion of a facility using biomass to generate electricity are exempt if:
(1) the facility exclusively utilizes residue wood, sawdust, bark, chipped wood, or brush to generate electricity;
(2) the facility utilizes a reciprocated grate combination system; and
(3) the total gross capacity of the facility is 15 to 21 megawatts.
Subd. 22. Materials used to make residential property handicapped accessible. Building materials and equipment sold to, or stored, used, or consumed by, a nonprofit organization are exempt if:
(1) the materials and equipment are used or incorporated into modifying an existing residential structure to make it handicapped accessible; and
(2) the materials and equipment used in the modification would qualify for an exemption under either subdivision 11 or 12 if made by the current owner of the residence.
For purposes of this subdivision, "nonprofit organization" means any nonprofit corporation, society, association, foundation, or institution organized and operated exclusively for charitable, religious, educational, or civic purposes; or a veterans' group exempt from federal taxation under section 501(c), clause (19), of the Internal Revenue Code.
* NOTE: This section, as added by Laws 2000, chapter 418, *article 1, section 15, is effective for sales and purchases *occurring after June 30, 2001. Laws 2000, chapter 418, article *1, section 46.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes