144E.265 Medical director.
Subdivision 1. Requirements. A medical director shall:
(1) be currently licensed as a physician in this state;
(2) have experience in, and knowledge of, emergency care of acutely ill or traumatized patients; and
(3) be familiar with the design and operation of local, regional, and state emergency medical service systems.
Subd. 2. Responsibilities. Responsibilities of the medical director shall include, but are not limited to:
(1) approving standards for training and orientation of personnel that impact patient care;
(2) approving standards for purchasing equipment and supplies that impact patient care;
(3) establishing standing orders for prehospital care;
(4) approving triage, treatment, and transportation protocols;
(5) participating in the development and operation of continuous quality improvement programs including, but not limited to, case review and resolution of patient complaints;
(6) establishing procedures for the administration of drugs; and
(7) maintaining the quality of care according to the standards and procedures established under clauses (1) to (6).
Subd. 3. Annual assessment; ambulance service. Annually, the medical director or the medical director's designee shall assess the practical skills of each person on the ambulance service roster and sign a statement verifying the proficiency of each person. The statements shall be maintained in the licensee's files.
HIST: 1999 c 245 art 9 s 34
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes