123B.37 Prohibited fees.
Subdivision 1. Boards shall not charge certain fees. (a) A board is not authorized to charge fees in the following areas:
(1) textbooks, workbooks, art materials, laboratory supplies, towels;
(3) field trips that are required as a part of a basic education program or course;
(4) graduation caps, gowns, any specific form of dress necessary for any educational program, and diplomas;
(5) instructional costs for necessary school personnel employed in any course or educational program required for graduation;
(6) library books required to be utilized for any educational course or program;
(7) admission fees, dues, or fees for any activity the pupil is required to attend;
(8) any admission or examination cost for any required educational course or program;
(9) locker rentals;
(10) transportation of pupils (i) for which state transportation aid for fiscal year 1996 is authorized pursuant to Minnesota Statutes 1994, section 124.223, or (ii) for which a levy for fiscal year 1996 is authorized under Minnesota Statutes 1994, section 124.226, subdivision 5.
(b) Notwithstanding paragraph (a), clauses (1) and (6), a board may charge fees for textbooks, workbooks, and library books, lost or destroyed by students. The board must annually notify parents or guardians and students about its policy to charge a fee under this paragraph.
Subd. 2. Boards shall not withhold grades or diplomas for nonpayment of student fees. No pupil's rights or privileges, including the receipt of grades or diplomas may be denied or abridged for nonpayment of fees; but this provision does not prohibit a district from maintaining any action provided by law for the collection of fees authorized by sections 123B.36 and 123B.38.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes