(a) A board is not authorized to charge fees in the following areas:
(1) textbooks, workbooks, art materials, laboratory supplies, towels;
(2) supplies necessary for participation in any instructional course except as authorized in sections 123B.36 and 123B.38;
(3) field trips that are required as a part of a basic education program or course;
(4) graduation caps, gowns, any specific form of dress necessary for any educational program, and diplomas;
(5) instructional costs for necessary school personnel employed in any course or educational program required for graduation;
(6) library books required to be utilized for any educational course or program;
(7) admission fees, dues, or fees for any activity the pupil is required to attend;
(8) any admission or examination cost for any required educational course or program;
(9) locker rentals;
(10) transportation to and from school of pupils living two miles or more from school.
(b) Notwithstanding paragraph (a), clauses (1) and (6), a board may charge fees for textbooks, workbooks, and library books, lost or destroyed by students. The board must annually notify parents or guardians and students about its policy to charge a fee under this paragraph.
No pupil's rights or privileges, including the receipt of grades or diplomas may be denied or abridged for nonpayment of fees; but this provision does not prohibit a district from maintaining any action provided by law for the collection of fees authorized by sections 123B.36 and 123B.38.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes