Subdivision 1. Characteristics. (a) If applications for grants exceed the available appropriations, grants shall be made for sites that, in the commissioner's judgment, provide the highest return in public benefits for the public costs incurred. In making this judgment, the commissioner shall give priority to redevelopment projects with one or more of the following characteristics:
(1) the need for redevelopment in conjunction with contamination remediation needs;
(2) the redevelopment project meets current tax increment financing requirements for a redevelopment district and tax increments will contribute to the project;
(3) the redevelopment potential within the municipality;
(4) proximity to public transit if located in the metropolitan area; and
(5) multijurisdictional projects that take into account the need for affordable housing, transportation, and environmental impact.
(b) The factors in paragraph (a), clauses (1) to (5), are not listed in a rank order of priority; rather the commissioner may weigh each factor, depending upon the facts and circumstances, as the commissioner considers appropriate. The commissioner may consider other factors that affect the net return of public benefits for completion of the redevelopment plan. The commissioner, notwithstanding the listing of priorities and the goal of maximizing the return of public benefits, shall make grants that distribute available money to sites both within and outside of the metropolitan area. The commissioner shall provide a written statement of the supporting reasons for each grant. Unless sufficient applications are not received for qualifying sites outside of the metropolitan area, at least 25 percent of the money provided as grants must be made for sites located outside of the metropolitan area. The commissioner shall consult with the metropolitan council about metropolitan area grants.
Subd. 2. Application cycles. In making grants, the commissioner shall establish semiannual application deadlines in which grants will be authorized from all or part of the available money in the account.
HIST: 1998 c 404 s 45
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes