256.9772 Health care consumer assistance grant program.
The board on aging shall award grants to area agencies on aging to develop projects to provide information about health coverage and to provide assistance to individuals in obtaining public and private health care benefits. Projects must:
(1) train and support staff and volunteers to work in partnership to provide one-on-one information and assistance services;
(2) provide individual consumers with assistance in understanding the terms of a certificate, contract, or policy of health coverage, including, but not limited to, terms relating to covered services, limitations on services, limitations on access to providers, and enrollee complaint and appeal procedures;
(3) assist individuals to understand medical bills and to process health care claims and appeals to obtain health care benefits;
(4) coordinate with existing health insurance counseling programs serving Medicare eligible individuals or establish programs to serve all consumers;
(5) target those individuals determined to be in greatest social and economic need for counseling services; and
(6) operate according to United States Code, title 42, section 1395b-4, if serving Medicare beneficiaries.
HIST: 1997 c 203 art 9 s 8