124A.23 General education levy and aid.
Subdivision 1. General education tax rate. The commissioner shall establish the general education tax rate by July 1 of each year for levies payable in the following year. The general education tax capacity rate shall be a rate, rounded up to the nearest hundredth of a percent, that, when applied to the adjusted net tax capacity for all districts, raises the amount specified in this subdivision. The general education tax rate shall be the rate that raises $1,359,000,000 for fiscal year 1998 and $1,385,500,000 for fiscal year 1999 and later fiscal years. The general education tax rate may not be changed due to changes or corrections made to a district's adjusted net tax capacity after the tax rate has been established. If the levy target for fiscal year 1999 is changed by another law enacted during the 1997 session, the commissioner shall reduce the target in this bill by the amount of the reduction in the enacted law.
Subd. 2. General education levy. To obtain general education revenue, excluding transition revenue and supplemental revenue, a district may levy an amount not to exceed the general education tax rate times the adjusted net tax capacity of the district for the preceding year. If the amount of the general education levy would exceed the general education revenue, excluding supplemental revenue, the general education levy shall be determined according to subdivision 3.
Subd. 2a. Repealed, 1992 c 499 art 12 s 30
Subd. 3. General education levy; districts off the formula. If the amount of the general education levy for a district exceeds the district's general education revenue, excluding transition revenue and supplemental revenue, the amount of the general education levy shall be limited to the following:
(1) the district's general education revenue, excluding transition revenue and supplemental revenue; plus
(2) the amount of the aid reduction for the same school year according to section 124A.24; minus
(3) payments made for the same school year according to section 124A.035, subdivision 4.
For purposes of statutory cross-reference, a levy made according to this subdivision shall be construed to be the levy made according to subdivision 2.
Subd. 4. General education aid. A district's general education aid is the sum of the following amounts:
(1) the product of (i) the difference between the general education revenue, excluding transition revenue and supplemental revenue, and the general education levy, times (ii) the ratio of the actual amount levied to the permitted levy;
(2) transition aid according to section 124A.22, subdivision 13e;
(3) supplemental aid according to section 124.214, subdivision 2;
(4) shared time aid according to section 124A.02, subdivision 21; and
(5) referendum aid according to section 124A.03.
Subd. 5. Uses of revenue. Except as provided in sections 124A.22, subdivision 11; 124A.225; and 124A.28, general education revenue may be used during the regular school year and the summer for general and special school purposes.
HIST: 1987 c 398 art 1 s 12; 1988 c 486 s 61-64; 1988 c 718 art 1 s 4-6; 1988 c 719 art 5 s 84; 1989 c 329 art 1 s 13; art 13 s 20; 1Sp1989 c 1 art 2 s 11; art 6 s 7; art 9 s 6; 1990 c 562 art 1 s 4; 1991 c 265 art 1 s 20-22; 1992 c 499 art 1 s 15; art 12 s 15,16; 1992 c 511 art 4 s 1; 1993 c 224 art 1 s 19,20; 1994 c 647 art 1 s 26; 1Sp1995 c 3 art 1 s 46,47; 1996 c 412 art 1 s 26; 1Sp1997 c 4 art 1 s 46-49
* NOTE: Subdivisions 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, are repealed *effective June 30, 1999. Laws 1992, chapter 499, article 7, *section 31.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes