Section R314.2.2 is amended to read as follows:
R314.2.2 Alterations, repairs, and additions. An individual dwelling unit shall be equipped with smoke alarms located as required for new dwellings when:
1. alterations, repairs (including installation or replacement of windows or doors), or additions requiring a building permit occur; or
2. one or more sleeping rooms are added or created in existing dwellings.
1. Work involving the exterior surfaces of dwellings, such as the replacement of roofing or siding, or the addition of an open porch or deck, or chimney repairs.
2. Installation, alteration, or repairs of plumbing, electrical, or mechanical systems.
Section R314.4 is amended by adding an exception to read as follows:
Exception: Interconnection of smoke alarms in existing areas shall not be required where alterations or repairs do not result in removal of interior wall or ceiling finishes exposing the structure.
Section R314.6 is amended by modifying the second exception to read as follows:
2. Smoke alarms installed in existing areas shall be permitted to be battery powered provided any alterations or repairs do not result in the removal of interior wall or ceiling finishes exposing the structure.
27 SR 1475; 32 SR 12; L 2007 c 140 art 4 s 61; art 13 s 4; 39 SR 91; 44 SR 764
March 31, 2020
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes