(a) Notwithstanding section 97B.425, clauses (4) and (5):
(1) a private landowner or person authorized by the private landowner may use a drum to bait bear on the person's private land; and
(2) a resident may use a drum to bait bear on public land after paying a $5 drum surcharge.
(b) The drum must be securely chained or cabled to a tree so that it cannot be moved from the site by a bear and the drum may not include a mechanical device for dispensing feed. The drum must be part of a registered bait station and marked as provided in section 97B.425. For a drum placed on public land under paragraph (a), clause (2), the drum also must:
(1) be permanently marked with the information required in this paragraph;
(2) include the global positioning system information on the location of the drum as part of the registration of the bait station under section 97B.425;
(3) not be placed on public land before the date allowed for placing bait under rules prescribed by the commissioner; and
(4) be removed within seven days after the end of each bear hunting season.
(c) For purposes of this section, "drum" means a 30 gallon or larger drum.
(d) A person who violates paragraph (b) is guilty of a petty misdemeanor.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes