In addition to all other legal requirements a policy or contract of insurance described in section 72A.51 shall show the name and address of the insurer and the seller of the policy or contract and shall include a notice, clearly and conspicuously in boldface type of a minimum size of ten points, which shall include the following elements:
(1) a minimum of ten days to cancel the policy beginning on the date the policy is received by the owner;
(2) if the policy is a replacement policy, a minimum of 30 days beginning on the date the policy is received by the owner. Pursuant to section 61A.57, this requirement may also be provided in a separate written notice that is delivered with the policy or contract;
(3) a requirement for the return of the policy to the company or an agent of the company;
(4) a statement that the policy is considered void from the beginning;
(5) for policies or contracts other than a variable annuity or a variable life policy, a statement that the insurer will refund all premiums paid, including any fees or charges, if the policy is returned; and
(6) a statement describing when the cancellation becomes effective.
The insurer must return all payments made for this policy within ten days after it receives notice of cancellation and the returned policy. For variable annuity contracts issued pursuant to sections 61A.13 to 61A.21, this notice shall be suitably modified so as to notify the purchaser that the purchaser is entitled to a refund of the amount calculated in accordance with the provisions of section 72A.51, subdivision 3. For variable life insurance policies, this notice must be suitably modified so as to notify the purchaser that the purchaser is entitled to a refund of: (i) the premiums paid; or (ii) the variable account value plus any amount deducted from the portion of the premium applied to the account.
If a policy or contract of insurance covered by this section is sold without compliance with subdivision 1, the policy or contract may be canceled by the purchaser at any time within one year after the date of purchase by returning the policy or contract and by giving written notice of cancellation to the insurer or its agent. If a purchaser cancels a policy or contract under this subdivision, the insurer must return the entire consideration paid for the policy or contract within ten days after receiving notice of cancellation and the returned policy or contract, except that if the contract is a variable annuity contract issued pursuant to sections 61A.13 to 61A.21, the insurer shall refund to the purchaser an amount calculated in accordance with the provisions of section 72A.51, subdivision 3.
1977 c 178 s 2; 1980 c 354 s 2; 1986 c 444; 2007 c 104 s 19; 2008 c 344 s 48
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes