(a) To assure that positions in the executive branch of the civil service are equally accessible to all qualified persons, and to eliminate the underutilization of qualified members of protected groups, the commissioner shall adopt and periodically revise, if necessary, a statewide affirmative action program. The statewide affirmative action program must consist of at least the following:
(1) objectives, goals, and policies;
(2) procedures, standards, and assumptions to be used by agencies in the preparation of agency affirmative action plans, including methods by which goals and timetables are established;
(3) the analysis of separation patterns to determine the impact on protected group members; and
(4) requirements for annual objectives and submission of affirmative action progress reports from heads of agencies.
(b) The commissioner shall establish statewide affirmative action goals for each of the federal Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) occupational categories applicable to state employment, using at least the following factors:
(1) the percentage of members of each protected class in the recruiting area population who have the necessary skills; and
(2) the availability for promotion or transfer of current employees who are members of protected classes.
(c) The commissioner may use any of the following factors in addition to the factors required under paragraph (b):
(1) the extent of unemployment of members of protected classes in the recruiting area population;
(2) the existence of training programs in needed skill areas offered by employing agencies and other institutions; and
(3) the expected number of available positions to be filled.
(d) The commissioner shall designate a state director of diversity and equal employment opportunity who may be delegated the preparation, revision, implementation, and administration of the program. The commissioner of management and budget may place the director's position in the unclassified service if the position meets the criteria established in section 43A.08, subdivision 1a.
[Repealed, 1Sp1985 c 13 s 376]
Implementation of the provisions of this section shall not be deemed a violation of other provisions of this chapter or chapter 363A.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes