MN Legislature


Revisor of Statutes Menu



2018 Minnesota Statutes


Subdivision 1.Permit required.

No brewer, malt liquor manufacturer, or intoxicating liquor manufacturer may import alcoholic beverages to a central warehouse, central distribution center, or holding area in Minnesota that the brewer or manufacturer owns or leases unless the brewer or manufacturer has obtained from the commissioner a manufacturer's warehouse permit for the facility. A manufacturer's warehouse permit allows a brewer or manufacturer to import alcoholic beverages for storage at the facility for which the permit is issued. No person other than a licensed wholesaler, or a motor carrier of property as defined in section 221.012, subdivision 27, or a common carrier as defined in section 218.011, subdivision 10, acting on behalf of a brewer, malt liquor manufacturer, intoxicating liquor manufacturer, or licensed wholesaler, may accept delivery from or pick up alcoholic beverages from the facility. A licensed wholesaler may distribute alcoholic beverages only from the wholesaler's warehouse.

Subd. 2.Eligibility.

A permit under this section may be issued only to a brewer, malt liquor manufacturer, or intoxicating liquor manufacturer:

(1) whose manufacturing facility or facilities are located outside Minnesota; and

(2) who holds a valid importer's license under section 340A.302.

Subd. 3.Fee.

The annual fee for a permit under this section is $1,000.

Subd. 4.Restriction on sale and deliveries.

A holder of a permit under this section may sell alcoholic beverages stored in a facility to which a permit has been issued under this section only to:

(1) a wholesaler licensed under this chapter;

(2) a wholesaler licensed in another state; or

(3) an out-of-state or out-of-country entity that sells alcoholic beverages at wholesale or retail.

Subd. 5.Reports.

A holder of a permit under this section must report monthly to the commissioner of revenue, in a form and at a time the commissioner prescribes:

(1) all alcoholic beverages imported into Minnesota and delivered to the permit holder's facility; and

(2) all sales of alcoholic beverages made from the facility.

Reports to the commissioner of revenue under this subdivision shall remain confidential unless a manufacturer authorizes the release of a report.

700 State Office Building, 100 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55155 ♦ Phone: (651) 296-2868 ♦ TTY: 1-800-627-3529 ♦ Fax: (651) 296-0569