The commissioner shall, as provided in this chapter, classify nonnative species of aquatic plants and wild animals according to the following categories:
(1) prohibited invasive species, which may not be possessed, imported, purchased, sold, propagated, transported, or introduced except as provided in section 84D.05;
(2) regulated invasive species, which may not be introduced except as provided in section 84D.07;
(3) unlisted nonnative species, which are subject to the classification procedure in section 84D.06; and
(4) unregulated nonnative species, which are not subject to regulation under this chapter.
The commissioner shall consider the following criteria in classifying a nonnative species of aquatic plants or wild animals under this chapter:
(1) the likelihood of introduction of the species if it is allowed to enter or exist in the state;
(2) the likelihood that the species would naturalize in the state were it introduced;
(3) the magnitude of potential adverse impacts of the species on native species and on outdoor recreation, commercial fishing, and other uses of natural resources in the state;
(4) the ability to eradicate or control the spread of the species once it is introduced in the state; and
(5) other criteria the commissioner deems appropriate.
Copyright © 2016 by the Revisor of Statutes, State of Minnesota. All rights reserved.