268.125 ADDITIONAL UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS.
Subdivision 1. Additional unemployment benefits; when available.
unemployment benefits are available if:
(1) at a facility that had 100 or more employees, the employer reduced operations, resulting
within a one-month period in the layoff of 50 percent or more of the facility's work force,
including reductions caused as a result of a major natural disaster declared by the president;
(2) the employer has no expressed plan to resume operations that would lead to the
reemployment of those employees in the immediate future; and
(3) the seasonally adjusted unemployment rate in the county that the facility is located was
ten percent or more during the month of the reduction or any of the three months before or after
the month of the reduction.
Subd. 2. Payment of unemployment benefits.
Additional unemployment benefits are
payable from the trust fund.
Subd. 3. Eligibility conditions.
An applicant is eligible to receive additional unemployment
benefits for any week during the applicant's benefit year if:
(1) the applicant was laid off from employment as a result of a reduction under subdivision 1
or was laid off because of lack of work from that employer during the three-month period before,
or the three-month period after, the month of the reduction under subdivision 1;
(2) the applicant meets the eligibility requirements under section
(3) the applicant is not ineligible under section
because of a quit or a discharge;
(4) the applicant has exhausted regular unemployment benefits under section
, is not
entitled to receive extended unemployment benefits under section
, and is not entitled to
receive unemployment benefits under any other state or federal law for that week; and
(5) a majority of the applicant's wage credits were from the employer that had a reduction
in operations under subdivision 1.
Subd. 4. Weekly unemployment benefit amount.
An applicant's weekly additional
unemployment benefit amount is the same as the applicant's weekly unemployment benefit
amount during the current benefit year under section
Subd. 5. Maximum amount of unemployment benefits.
The maximum amount of
additional unemployment benefits available in the applicant's benefit year is one-half of the
applicant's maximum amount of regular unemployment benefits available under section
, rounded down to the next lower whole dollar. Extended unemployment benefits paid
and unemployment benefits paid under any federal law other than regular unemployment benefits
must be deducted from the maximum amount of additional unemployment benefits available.
History: 1987 c 362 s 17; 1994 c 488 s 8; 1994 c 503 s 1-3; 1996 c 417 s 13-15; 1997 c 66 s
79; 2Sp1997 c 2 s 18,19; 1998 c 265 s 32; 1999 c 107 s 49-51,66; 2000 c 343 s 4; 1Sp2003 c 3
art 2 s 20; 2004 c 183 s 73; 2007 c 128 art 5 s 8; art 6 s 81,82