The Department of Labor and Industry is created under the supervision and control of the commissioner of labor and industry which office is hereby established. The commissioner of labor and industry shall be appointed by the governor under the provisions of section 15.06. There shall be one deputy commissioner in the department.
The commissioner before entering upon the duties of office, shall take the oath prescribed by law.
[Repealed, 1969 c 1129 art 8 s 17]
It is part of the department's mission that within the department's resources the commissioner shall endeavor to:
(1) prevent the waste or unnecessary spending of public money;
(2) use innovative fiscal and human resource practices to manage the state's resources and operate the department as efficiently as possible;
(3) coordinate the department's activities wherever appropriate with the activities of other governmental agencies;
(4) use technology where appropriate to increase agency productivity, improve customer service, increase public access to information about government, and increase public participation in the business of government;
(5) utilize constructive and cooperative labor-management practices to the extent otherwise required by chapters 43A and 179A;
(6) report to the legislature on the performance of agency operations and the accomplishment of agency goals in the agency's biennial budget according to section 16A.10, subdivision 1; and
(7) recommend to the legislature appropriate changes in law necessary to carry out the mission and improve the performance of the department.
Copyright © 2014 by the Revisor of Statutes, State of Minnesota. All rights reserved.