The commissioner of natural resources shall:
(1) determine the correct and most appropriate names of the lakes, streams, places and other geographic features in the state, and the spelling thereof by written order published in the State Register. Name designations are exempt from the rulemaking provisions of chapter 14 and section 14.386 does not apply;
(2) pass upon and give names to lakes, streams, places, and other geographic features in the state for which no single, generally accepted name has been in use;
(3) in cooperation with the county boards and with their approval, change the names of lakes, streams, places, and other geographic features, with the end in view of eliminating, as far as possible, duplication of names within the state;
(4) prepare and publish an official state dictionary of geographic names and publish the same, either as a completed whole or in parts, when ready;
(5) serve as the state representative of the United States Geographic Board and cooperate with that board to the end that there shall be no conflict between the state and federal designations of geographic features in the state.