(a) The officers and employees of the county and of any agency, board, or commission, supported in whole or in part by taxation upon the taxable property of the county or appointed by the judges of the district court for the county, are divided into the unclassified and classified service.
(b) The unclassified service comprises:
(1) all officers elected by popular vote or persons appointed to fill vacancies in such offices;
(2) superintendent or principal administrative officer or comptroller of any separate department of county government which is now or hereafter created pursuant to law, who is directly responsible to the board of county commissioners or any other board or commission, as well as the county agricultural agents reporting to the county extension committee;
(3) members of nonpaid board, or commissioners appointed by the board of county commissioners or acting in an advisory capacity;
(4) assistant county attorneys or special investigators in the employ of the county attorney. For purposes of this section, special investigators are defined as all nonclerical positions in the employ of the county attorney;
(5) all common labor temporarily employed on an hourly basis;
(6) not more than a total of nine full-time equivalent clerical employees serving the county board and administrator;
(7) a legislative lobbyist/grant coordinator appointed by the county board to act as legislative liaison with the St. Louis County legislative delegation and pursue legislative concerns and grant opportunities for the county, and the clerk for that position;
(8) any department head and deputy director designated by the county board;
(9) three administrative assistants in the county administrator's office;
(10) the county administrator and two deputy administrators; and
(11) all court bailiffs.
(c) The classified service includes all other positions now existing and hereinafter created in the service of the county or any board or commission, agency, or offices of the county.
1941 c 423 s 6; 1949 c 255 s 1; 1949 c 258 s 1; 1949 c 309 s 1; 1951 c 310 s 1; 1959 c 217 s 1; 1961 c 329 s 1; Ex1961 c 27 s 1; 1967 c 142 s 1; 1969 c 420 s 1; 1984 c 398 s 1; 1986 c 366 s 2; 1987 c 40 s 1; 1988 c 491 s 3; 1994 c 595 s 3; 1995 c 189 s 8; 1996 c 277 s 1; 1997 c 188 s 1; 2000 c 454 s 2; 2019 c 9 s 5