Except as otherwise provided in subdivision 2, the commissioner shall issue a certificate of registration to an applicant for registration who complies with section 81A.26, subdivision 1.
(a) The commissioner may refuse to issue a certificate of registration to an applicant for registration under section 81A.26, subdivision 1, if the commissioner determines that the applicant has engaged in conduct that significantly adversely reflects on the applicant's fitness to act as an athlete agent. In making the determination, the commissioner may consider whether the applicant has:
(1) pleaded guilty or no contest to, has been convicted of, or has charges pending for, a crime that would involve moral turpitude or be a felony if committed in this state;
(2) made a materially false, misleading, deceptive, or fraudulent representation in the application or as an athlete agent;
(3) engaged in conduct that would disqualify the applicant from serving in a fiduciary capacity;
(4) engaged in conduct prohibited by section 81A.35;
(5) had a registration as an athlete agent suspended, revoked, or denied in any state;
(6) been refused renewal of registration as an athlete agent in any state;
(7) engaged in conduct resulting in imposition of a sanction, suspension, or declaration of ineligibility to participate in an interscholastic, intercollegiate, or professional athletic event on a student athlete or a sanction on an educational institution; or
(8) engaged in conduct that adversely reflects on the applicant's credibility, honesty, or integrity.
(b) In making a determination under paragraph (a), the commissioner shall consider:
(1) how recently the conduct occurred;
(2) the nature of the conduct and the context in which it occurred; and
(3) other relevant conduct of the applicant.
(a) An athlete agent registered under subdivision 1 may apply to renew the registration by submitting an application for renewal in a form prescribed by the commissioner. The applicant shall sign the application for renewal under penalty of perjury and include current information on all matters required in an original application for registration.
(b) An athlete agent registered under section 81A.26, subdivision 2, may renew the registration by proceeding under paragraph (a) or, if the registration in the other state has been renewed, by submitting to the commissioner copies of the application for renewal in the other state and the renewed registration from the other state. The commissioner shall renew the registration if the commissioner determines:
(2) the renewed registration has not been suspended or revoked and no action involving the individual's conduct as an athlete agent is pending against the individual or the individual's registration in any state.