As used in this section, the following terms have the meanings given.
(a) "Electronic access data" means data created, collected, or maintained about a person's access to a government entity's computer for the purpose of:
(1) gaining access to data or information;
(2) transferring data or information; or
(3) using government services.
(b) "Cookie" means any data that a government-operated computer electronically places on the computer of a person who has gained access to a government computer.
Electronic access data are private data on individuals or nonpublic data.
(b) Notwithstanding a person's refusal to accept a cookie on the person's computer, a government entity must allow the person to gain access to data or information, transfer data or information, or use government services by the government entity's computer.
Electronic access data may be disseminated:
(1) to the commissioner for the purpose of evaluating electronic government services;
(2) to another government entity or a federal law enforcement agency to prevent or report unlawful intrusions into government electronic systems; or
(3) as otherwise provided by law.
This section does not apply to a cookie temporarily installed by a government entity on a person's computer during a single session on or visit to a government entity's Web site if the cookie is installed only in a computer's memory and is deleted from the memory when the Web site browser or Web site application is closed.
Copyright © 2017 by the Revisor of Statutes, State of Minnesota. All rights reserved.