This is an historical version of this statute chapter. Also view the most recent published version.
(a) A snowmobile that is not registered in the state under section 84.82, subdivision 3, paragraph (a), or that is registered by a manufacturer or dealer under section 84.82, subdivision 3, paragraph (b) or (c), may not be operated on a state or grant-in-aid snowmobile trail unless a snowmobile state trail sticker is affixed to the snowmobile.
(b) The commissioner of natural resources shall issue a sticker upon application and payment of a fee. The fee is:
(1) $35 for a one-year snowmobile state trail sticker purchased by an individual; and
(2) $15 for a one-year snowmobile state trail sticker purchased by a dealer or manufacturer.
(c) In addition to other penalties prescribed by law, an individual in violation of this subdivision must purchase an annual state trail sticker for a fee of $70. The sticker is valid from November 1 through June 30. Fees collected under this section, except for the issuing fee for licensing agents, shall be deposited in the state treasury and credited to the snowmobile trails and enforcement account in the natural resources fund and, except for the electronic licensing system commission established by the commissioner under section 84.027, subdivision 15, must be used for grants-in-aid, trail maintenance, grooming, and easement acquisition.
(d) A state trail sticker is not required under this section for:
(1) a snowmobile that is owned and used by the United States, an Indian tribal government, another state, or a political subdivision thereof that is exempt from registration under section 84.82, subdivision 6;
(2) a collector snowmobile that is operated as provided in a special permit issued for the collector snowmobile under section 84.82, subdivision 7a;
(3) a person operating a snowmobile only on the portion of a trail that is owned by the person or the person's spouse, child, or parent; or
(4) a snowmobile while being used to groom a state or grant-in-aid trail.
The state trail sticker shall be permanently affixed to either:
(1) the forward half of the snowmobile directly above or below the headlight of the snowmobile;
(2) above the expiration year on the top portion of the snowmobile registration validation decal; or
(3) the lower right corner of a registration plate issued to a dealer or manufacturer under section 84.82, subdivision 3.
The commissioner may appoint agents to issue and sell state trail stickers. The commissioner may revoke the appointment of an agent at any time. The commissioner may adopt additional rules as provided in section 97A.485, subdivision 11. An agent shall observe all rules adopted by the commissioner for accounting and handling of stickers pursuant to section 97A.485, subdivision 11. An agent shall promptly deposit and remit all money received from the sale of the stickers, exclusive of the issuing fee, to the commissioner.
The commissioner and agents shall issue and sell snowmobile state trail stickers.
In addition to the fee for a sticker, an issuing fee of $1 per sticker shall be charged. The issuing fee may be retained by the seller of the sticker. Issuing fees for stickers issued by the commissioner shall be deposited in the snowmobile trails and enforcement account in the natural resources fund and retained for the operation of the electronic licensing system.
The commissioner and agents shall issue a duplicate sticker to persons whose sticker is lost or destroyed using the process established under section 97A.405, subdivision 3, and rules promulgated thereunder. The fee for a duplicate state trail sticker is $2, with an issuing fee of 50 cents.
Copyright © 2016 by the Revisor of Statutes, State of Minnesota. All rights reserved.