A person may not:
(1) place major appliances in mixed municipal solid waste; or
(a) Major appliances must be recycled or reused. Each county shall ensure that its households have the opportunity to recycle used major appliances. For the purposes of this section, recycling includes:
(1) the removal of capacitors that may contain PCB's;
(2) the removal of ballasts that may contain PCB's;
(3) the removal of chlorofluorocarbon refrigerant gas; and
(4) the recycling or reuse of the metals, including mercury.
(b) To ensure that the materials removed from a major appliance are not introduced into the environment, an activity described in paragraph (a), clauses (1) to (3), must be conducted in a closed facility if the activity is conducted within 500 feet from the ordinary high water level of a water basin that is a public water, as those terms are described in section 103G.005, or of a watercourse identified by the public waters inventory under section 103G.201.
Official Publication of the State of Minnesota
Revisor of Statutes